Ch. 4

Sung-Jin-Woo woke up in cold sweat.

He immediately sat up and tried to catch his breath.

What the hell was all that about!?

The whole room was quiet and only his loud panting can be heard. Sweat was dripping down to his chin and he felt an unknown pain in his chest.

"haah....ha..."

Jin-woo tried to remember the nightmare he had earlier but he couldn't think of anything no matter how hard he tries.

He knew it was important.

The sun was still high up in the sky.

Looks Iike I haven't sleep that long. Thankfully.

Loud footsteps can be heard outside.

...

"My lady , it's the head butler."

The person did not wait for a response and just opened the door.

"What is it?"

Sung-Jin-Woo asked as he glared at the old man.

"The duke is looking for you my lady."

Ok?

"uhm..."

"I'll take you there."

Sung-Jin-Woo grabbed a blanket and covered his self up from the cold air as he followed the head butler quietly.

Servants in the hallway looked at him in contempt and distrust , whispering to each other quietly. Nevertheless , he was unaffected. Still having both of his eyes locked at the head butler's back.

——

After a long and suffocating journey they had finally reached their destination.

"We're here."

"Alright."

He looked at the massive door in silence and hesitantly grabbed the handle before going inside.

Jin-woo took a glimpse at the person right in front of him.

ah...I see , it's him. I feel a little embarrassed for lashing out like that last time.

Sung-Jin-Woo quietly analyze the magnificent room and the busy man at the front whose eyes are glued at the paper works , not caring at the 'cat' that quietly snuck inside his office.

Only the sound of scribbling can be heard in the room as this went on for minutes.

Sung-Jin-Woo sweat dropped and gulped.

...I'm here now...maybe he didn't hear me come in? Should I say something or should I just leave?

"sighs...AhEm!"

Suddenly the fountain pen that was moving smoothly until now stopped.

oh.

The duke raised his head and took a quick look at the little girl before moving his blue eyes back at the paperworks.

"You're finally here."

Was I too stealthy? how did he not notice?

"Yes."

"How's your wound?"

Jin-Woo lifted his hands and stared at it.

It hurts a little bit...but I don't wanna tell him that.

"I'm ok."

I should ask Beru to heal it a little bit just to reduce the pain.

"..."

"Penelope."

"..."

I think it's swelling too.

*Click*

"Penelope Eckart."

Sung-Jin-Woo flinched at the intimidating voice accompanied by the sound of the pen hitting the table loudly.

"uh...sorry , I was dozing off."

Penelope Eckart ok...I'll remember that.

"Are you not feeling well? I'll call a physician."

"No , It's fine. I am fine"

"Your complexion is not good. Are you sure you're alright?"

"It's okay , really."

"Have you eaten yet?"

"Yes."

The duke raised his eyebrows out of doubt.

"You're lying."

"...Uhm...I just asked-

That maid girl that wrapped my wound earlier...what was her name again? I forgot. oh!

-Amerie to bring me something to eat earlier before I left my room."

Obviously that's a petty lie I just made up.

The duke felt inconvenienced by the sudden change of attitude his daughter had shown as well as her short and stern responses to his questions but paid it no mind.

"I see..."

He bought it.

"hm."

"I actually have something very important to talk about with you today...That is why called you here. Sit down first. This will be a long conversation. I'll prepare some refreshments as well. "

"ok."

——

Sung-Jin-Woo sat down at the couch quietly , Eye to eye with the duke on the opposite side.

"What is it?"

He asked cautiously.

"..."

"Penelope , do you feel uncomfortable living in the duchy?"

The duke made a worried,guilty face and his hand that held the teacup trembled slightly.

I don't really know...

"No."

He said emotionless however the duke mistook it as her trying to hide her real feelings.

"You...-You don't have to hide anything from me."

What?

Jin-Woo was starting to get uncomfortable at the constant meaningless questions given to him.

"..."

"As expected , the servants are mistreating you aren't they? Tell me. I'll punish them."

"No , It's okay. No one is mistreating me so you don't need to act like this. I can do just well by myself."

Jin-woo frowned and coldly replied slightly raising his voice.

"Penelope-!"

"Duke."

"..."

"I am fine."