Ch. 5

"Duke."

"..."

"I am fine."

Jin-woo drank his tea with a poker face while the man that he was talking with was frozen in place.

"What?"

"hm?"

"What do you mean by 'duke?'"

what.

"Is there something wrong?"

"You..."

"..."

Did I say something wrong?

"..."

why does he keep dragging out the conversation.

"If you don't have anything else to say then I'll leave."

Sung-Jin-Woo stood up to leave but was stopped when the duke suddenly blocked his exit.

"Penelope please , just sit down. I..."

"Duke , please get to the point. I just woke and my body hasn't completely recovered yet hence I'm a bit weak and tired."

"I understand."

"then...?"

"Penelope I know your angry but-"

"I'm not angry."

".... If it's about the necklace....Don't worry , I believe you."

It's about this thing again.

"You don't have to be so concerned about my feelings. I did not take it to heart. It doesn't matter if someone accused me for something I did not do however , I know to myself what really is the truth , I know not everyone will like me and if they don't , I don't really care. I'm not that desperate for validation. I will do just fine...even if I'm all alone."

Even if I'm all alone in this world.

The duke was taken a back by his daughter's words. It's as if she had completely changed personality in a short period of time.

"Penelope , why...why are you suddenly being so distant?"

"No , you're wrong. I am not being distant. I just know my limits. especially since nothing really belongs to me here."

It's the truth. Afterall , this isn't my world.

"..."

Jin-woo looked up at the duke and gave him a sincere smile.

"Then...please...excuse me. Duke."

He farewelled and left without looking back. Treating the man like a stranger. Whilst the other person felt a stinging pain in his heart. Feeling sadness , guilt and disappointed to his self.

——

Jin-woo plopped to his bed and hugged a pillow.

"Miss , you're back."

"Yes , can you bring me some food. I'm hungry."

"Huh? yes. of course."

Ugh...that was tiring. So strange. Why do I feel like I did something wrong to that old-man. No , what could I have possibly done to offend him. I was careful. Maybe... I'm just feeling a little worried because...

Jin-woo sat up and started to get extremely anxious. Sweat quickly covered his forehead.

This is not going to work...Those people. I need to save them but how? What if those damned creatures are really torturing them now? I can't just sit here calmly as they suffer. My family...friend...what should I do? I died. If I kill myself right now will I go back?

And without even knowing it sung-jin-woo found himself face to face with a window bigger than his whole body. His foot unconsciously climbed at the window and his eyes were locked on the ground.

Contemplating whether he should jump or not for his decision might be for the better or the worse.

If he's still in his original body then he could easily survive this fall but now...it's certain that he'll be dead if he withdrew. The problem is...will he go back to south korea or straight to the afterlife?

The cold breeze washed on her doll-like face as it blew her magenta curls smoothly , just like a fabric of silk. The hem of her dress danced along with the wind beautifully. Such a heavenly sight , a beauty carved by God himself. It's a pity that her thoughts was in contrast to her appearance.

Death , murder , torture , monsters and revenge. Who would've thought the emotionless child is actually trying to end her life for the humanity's safety.

No one would care.

Sung-jin-woo started to hallucinate and his whole body felt light , unable to hear anything properly. He tried to jump but his whole body was frozen in place.

I can't move! why!

"Miss!"

Jin-woo let out a loud gasp and turned his back to see Emily standing with a tray of food in her hand.

"Miss please get down from there. I'm begging you! hic!"

The poor maid knelt down and made a praying hand gesture as she looked at her master's cloudy eyes. Tears flowed and covered her freckled cheeks. Begging and begging as she confessed all her sins just so the young lady could get off the ledge.

Sobs and rough breathing echoed through out the room.

"My lady! It was my fault! I'm sorry! I was wrong! So please don't do this! My lady! hic! hic!"

uwah...what should I do...

"Calm down."

If I jump in here , in front of her it won't do me any good. It's not certain whether I'll really go back to my world if I die.

"I'm just getting some fresh air , Amerie."

He said gently accompanying it with a bright grin to sound more convincing even though he know to himself that this will not be the last time he'll choose this option.