Warm Drinks

Hawaii wakes up to Alaska cuddling up to her side. She couldn't remember if she went to sleep with Alaska with her but decides she doesn't mind. She smiles slightly and brushes Alaska's hair. Alaska's head pops up; her face adorned with a smile.

"G'morning Hawaii!"

"Good morning Alaska."

A knock on the door.

"Come in!" Hawaii calls. The door creaks open, and Soviet pokes his head in.

"Good morning. I wanted to see if Alaska was in here."

"Hi, Mr. Soviet! I'm 'chillin' with Hawaii."

Soviet rolls his eye with a chuckle.

"Would you like to meet your aunts and uncles?"

"Really? Yeah!"

Alaska hops up and rushes over to Soviet, almost faceplanting on her descent from the bed. Soviet smiles and leads her away, closing the door behind him. Hawaii sits up and shivers. She rubs her arms and resists the urge to bury herself back in the blankets. Hawaii stands on the cold floorboards and exits the room.

She hears Alaska speaking and follows it into a large family room of sorts. She sees several countries walking about, speaking amongst themselves, or going about their own activities. She stands awkwardly until Alaska drags someone over to meet her.

"This is my aunt Hawaii! She takes care of me, but she doesn't like the cold."

"Hello," Hawaii says meekly. The country smiles.

"Hello, my name is Belarus. So, American states have personifications?"

Hawaii flashes her a grin.

"Yes. Every single one. I joined when most of them were older teens. According to America, all of them were quite the handful when they were younger."

The two laugh and Alaska wanders out of sight to speak with the other countries.

"If I may ask, where is your land located?"

"My home is a group of islands in the tropics," she says with a chuckle, "I am trying to get used to the colder temperatures."

"Oh. We have been quite inconsiderate. You must be freezing!"

"I am a little cold, but-"

"Don't worry. I will be right back with some of my warmer clothing for you to use."

"You don't have to."

"You are a guest! I will be right back."

Belarus disappears a moment later. Hawaii stands around and starts small talk with another country nearby, who introduces herself as Moldova.

"Why do you stay here if you resent the Soviet Union's rule?"

"The same reasons as the others. We do not like Soviet, but we do enjoy the company of each other. Soviet has also become less.... controlling is a good word. Yes, less controlling, since the USSR crumbled. He has no power over us, so it is tolerable. Besides, I would not want to risk being alone. Not now. And, as you Americans say, 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't.'"

Hawaii nods. Someone taps on her shoulder, and she spins around to see Belarus behind her with a deep blue sweater.

"I do not have many clothes like this, but this should fit you, no?"

Hawaii takes it and pulls it over her head. It fits loosely but is comfortable and warm.

"Yes, thank you."

"You're welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here."

"Aunt Hawaii!!"

Hawaii turns around to see Alaska running to her with a country at her heels.

"Alaska! Let go of him this instant," Hawaii scolds.

"She's fine," The country placates, "You must be Hawaii. I am Ukraine."

"Aunt Hawaii! Can I go out and play? Please.."

"You are not going out there by yourself if that's what you're thinking," Hawaii says, crossing her arms.

"Aww.."

"I'll go with her," Ukraine volunteers.

"Really?! Can we build a snowman and make a fort and throw snowballs and..."

"Well, let's go tell p-Mr. Soviet where we're going before we leave."

"Okay! I know where he is! Come on!" Alaska exclaims before taking off into the kitchen, and Ukraine stumbles to keep up.

Hawaii laughs at the sight.

"She looks like she is a handful," Belarus comments with a smile.

"Oh, she is. She's also awfully cute for being such a trouble maker."

Belarus laughs.

"She has my papa wrapped around her little finger," she giggles, "she reminds me of Russia."

"I have heard that a few times. Russia, when I had seen him, seems distant and quiet."

"Oh, that's him now. He used to be just as hyper as Alaska and had papa bending to his every whim. Papa won't admit it, but Russia was always his favorite. It got better as we got older, but it did make me resent him for a while."

Hawaii nods and smiles sympathetically. Then, swift, pattering footsteps catch her attention. She turns and sees Alaska running to her boots and hurriedly putting them on. Ukraine follows closely behind, a smile on his face.

"You are not in a large group, so please stay where I can see you," Soviet calls from the adjacent room.

"Yes, papa!" Ukraine calls back.

Hawaii watches Alaska grab Ukraine as soon as he fastens his coat and drag him to the back entrance. She follows them and settles into a nearby chair, watching them through a large window. She sees them frolic in the snow and begins throwing snowballs at each other.

A shiver runs down her spine, and she rubs her arms, trying to smooth the goosebumps.

"Are you alright?" Soviet asks.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm just a little cold."

"Ah. I will get you something to help."

Soviet walks into the kitchen and begins to prepare something that Hawaii doesn't recognize.

"Do you like sweet things?"

Hawaii nods, and Soviet turns back to the stove.

He returns a few minutes later with a drink that smells sweet with an undertone of honey. Drinking it makes the cold a little easier to withstand. She holds the warm glass in her hands.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome."

There is a brief pause, and Soviet settles back into his seat, facing the window. Hawaii takes a few more sips. The taste is unfamiliar but pleasant.

"What is this?"

"Sbiten-a honey drink for winter months. It is an old recipe. And, if I remember correctly, America quite likes it as well."

"You were on friendly terms with America?"

Soviet laughs.

"No, not until very recently. Still, America is not subtle about his preferences."

Hawaii smiles at the thought, but her mind drifts to America's whereabouts. She frowns before turning to Soviet, deep in thought.

"Soviet?"

"Yes?"

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you agree to take us in?"

"Alaska is family. It would be wrong to turn her away. You came along to help keep her safe."

Hawaii hums and turns back to the window. She stares out at the figures dancing against the blanket of white, lost in thought.