IV - Behind Closed Doors

Russia sits, shaking on the ground, trying to calm his breathing.

Everything around him blurs as his head spun. He's left reeling trying to figure out what that thing was. As the pounding in his ears begins to fade, he registers the chaos around him. His eyes dart around the room.

'Do I run? Where do I go? I need to-'

Suddenly, someone hugs him.

"Hey. Calm down, Russ. It's okay," America soothes, rubbing Russia's back gently.

Russia clutches onto America like a lifeline, trying to copy America's breathing. The lingering smell of rot clings to him, but he decides to ignore it the best he can. Once his breathing calms, the fuzz in his head also begins to subside.

Russia begins to analyze his surroundings.

The state with the red 'X' is sitting on the couch with the tallest of the states examining his ankle, and a teen with stripped hair swept to one side stands nearby with a handful of ice in a piece of cloth. The star-eyed state stands at an open window, gun trained on something outside.

Everyone else is scattered around, trying to calm themselves down or bombarding the other state with questions.

He finds himself wrapped around America. His face grows red. Russia relaxes enough to release America. He backs away, shuffling to try to maintain some kind of distance.

"I'm okay, Meri. I'm okay. Thank you," Russia says gratefully, a little flustered.

"'Meri'? Russ, that's a girl's name," America says, crossing his arms and standing up.

Russia shrugs. "You gave me a nickname, so I gave one to you."

America laughs before pulling Russia up to his feet. A noise of frustration comes from the window.

"Texas?" America asks, turning around curiously.

"It ain't there anymore!" Texas groans, standing at the window.

"What do you mean?" America asks.

"It up an' disappeared!" Texas complains, sounding just short of throwing his hands into the air out of frustration.

America sighs.

"At least it's gone," comments one of the older teens.

"For now," another adds, cautious, her hair flowing behind her like a curtain.

Texas replaces the screen and locks the window before unloading the gun.

America rubs his face and announces, "everyone is going to stay inside. Russia and I still have a meeting we have to attend. Please keep it down and make sure to wash up. Texas and New Mexico are going to keep a lookout, and Hawaii is in charge."

The states respond with wishes of good luck and solemn agreement to follow America's instructions.

They walk back up to the office.

Russia still feels a bit shaken, but he knows that he has to finish the meeting, whether he wanted to or not.

'It was going to be impossible to sit still after such an adrenaline rush.'

Canada yells, "America! You're okay! What happened?! What are you covered in?" as soon as they come back into the frame.

"Russia, are you alright?" Soviet asks.

Russia gives a mute nod in response.

"Everyone is alright! Nobody's hurt," America reassures his brother.