XLIV - Confessions

They walk together to keep watch, and Russia listens closely to the sounds around them. He also notices America's nervous look. He pulls America a little closer, and America's face flushes red. Russia leans a little closer with a small smile. America playfully headbutts him.

Russia laughs and rubs the side of his head. He lets go of America's hand and begins scanning the surroundings. America does the same.

"Do you hear anything?" America asks over his shoulder.

"No. Not yet. We should still stay. I don't want the children to get hurt," Russia replies.

Russia had expected America to agree. Instead, America doesn't reply. He turns around and sees America staring at him with a look of wonder that morphs into a goofy smile.

"What?"

"Nothing. Nothing," America replies dismissively.

Russia smiles back, and America's face turns pink as he looks away.

'He's cute.'

Russia smiles wider at the thought but forces his attention back onto the shadows around him.

"Can you make the light any brighter?"

"Yeah. Hold on."

After a moment, the walls farther down the passage are illuminated by light blue. Russia frowns.

"This doesn't look right," Russia says, backing up a little.

America hums, and they back into each other.

"We should go back to the others. Now," America demands.

Russia agrees and hurries behind him. They reenter the room, which, for better or worse, hasn't changed.

"What's wrong? Did you see something?" Finland questions.

"No. But stuff definitely changed," America says.

"Like the walls?" Philippines asks, his voice shaking slightly.

America nods.

"What do y'all mean the walls changed?" Texas exclaims.

"We mean exactly what we said. The hallways changed. I don't think we would be able to backtrack anywhere," America explains.

"You don't seem at all surprised about this bullshit. Has this happened before?" Massachusetts says.

"Yes. We were..manipulated. There was a lot of magic involved," America says, his words choppy.

Russia looks over, concerned. America looks down at his feet and chews on his lip. After running a hand through his hair, America continues.

"It was a whirlwind. And whatever is behind that door is responsible."

"Well, we don't know that," Canada remarks.

"What do you mean? What else would that be there?"

"All I'm saying is that maybe we'll find some allies too."

"Probably not," Russia interjects, shaking his head.

"Thank you. Anyway, how close are we to reaching it?"

"We're getting close, but it's taking a while," Louisiana reports from the rock pile.

She precariously stands on the top and reaches for the door. It is about a meter out of her reach.

"Well, we should finish and get out of here," America says, and he waves the states and Philippines away to continue collecting rocks. Finland and Canada follow.