3. Separated

Rhea and Trumpkin were thrown in different cells when they reached the dungeons.
Their gags and ankle shackles were removed, but their wrists remained bound.
And despite being closer to the ground, Rhea still felt disconnected from the earth, for there was so much stone separating them.
She knew she wouldn't be able to turn into a tree to free them, unless her feet were touching the ground. So, for the time being they were both stuck there.
Her and Trumpkin were alone for several minutes before the man named Lord Miraz entered the dungeons.
"So. What have we got here?" He asked, as he placed his hands around the bars of Rhea's cell.
"You stay away from her!" Snapped Trumpkin, as Rhea retreated to the back of her cell.

"Such a temper on such a small man" scolded Miraz.
"Let me out of this cell, and I will show you temper" threatened Trumpkin.
"I can see that you are a dwarf, for that is obvious, but what I cannot identify, is the strange creature in this cell" admitted Miraz, completely ignoring Trumpkin's threat.
Rhea held her tongue, as Trumpkin had told her to do earlier.
"Is it mute as well as stupid and hideous?" Continued Miraz, when Rhea failed to answer him.
"No, I am not" she said quietly, no longer able to stay silent.
"Ah, she speaks" replied Miraz.

"Leave her alone. She is just a child. Please don't hurt her" begged Trumpkin.
Rhea frowned, since Trumpkin's statement wasn't completely true.
She was 13 years old, so therefore not a child.
Miraz walked away from Rhea to stare into Trumpkin's cell instead.
"Why does she mean so much to you? She is obviously not your child. So, why are you so desperate to protect her?" Questioned Miraz.
"We may not be related by blood, but I care for her as much as I would any child of my own" answered Trumpkin.
Rhea's cheeks flushed a darker shade of green at Trumpkin's endearing words.

"How touching" sighed Miraz as he rolled his eyes.
"For your information, Telmarine, she is a dryad. And as far as we are aware, she is the last dryad" revealed Trumpkin.
"How fascinating" replied Miraz, before turning to look back at Rhea.
"If she truly is the last dryad, then you must not harm her in any way" insisted Trumpkin.
"And why is that?"
"Because she is the last living tree spirit. Without her all the trees in the forest would wilt and die. Which would cause just as many problems for you as it would the Narnians".

Rhea wasn't sure if Trumpkin was lying to try and protect her, or whether or not he was revealing the truth to her as well as Miraz.
She knew that she was important, because she was the last dryad, therefore the last person who could connect to the trees.
Rhea also knew that the trees would never wake up, if there were no more dryads.
But she felt like what Trumpkin had said about the whole forest dying, was a bit of an exaggeration.
She couldn't possibly be that important.

"Why should I listen to a word you say, dwarf? You will say whatever it takes to keep this girl safe. So, how do I know you are telling the truth?" Asked Miraz.
"You don't have to believe me, if you don't want to. But do you really want to take the risk, and hurt her, just in case I am telling the truth?" Questioned Trumpkin.
"How about this, you give me the information I need, and I won't hurt your little friend?" Suggested Miraz.
"I'm not telling you anything. I would never betray my own kind"
"Well, if you won't, then maybe she will".

Miraz walked back over to Rhea's cage with a smile on his face.
"Afterall, we really only need one hostage. I can dispose of you, while getting the information I need from this tree" continued Miraz.
"You might find that tree harder to crack than you think. Her age doesn't make her weak. And she cares about our people just as much as me. So, she won't tell you anything" informed Trumpkin.
"Your attitude is infuriating. But we will see who is left smiling at the end of this".

Miraz then called for the guards, and several came running to join him.
"Take this dwarf and dump his body in the river where no one will ever find him" instructed Miraz.
The guards nodded and began unlocking Trumpkin's cell.
Rhea jumped forward and threw her arms through the bars connecting her and Trumpkin's prisons.
He was the closest friend she had, and she couldn't bare to lose him.
"No. Don't take him!" Begged Rhea, as the guards began dragging Trumpkin out of the cell.

Rhea moved to the front of her jail cell, and decided to plead to her captor instead.
"Please, I beg you, don't kill him" pleaded Rhea.
"Do you wish to tell me where I can find the rest of the Narnians?" Asked Miraz.
Rhea looked over and Trumpkin, who shook his head.
"Don't you dare betray our friends. I am not worth it" insisted Trumpkin.
Rhea lowered her head in shame, since she couldn't disobey a direct order like that.
She also knew it wouldn't be right, to protect one life, and allow hundreds of others to be killed instead.

"Well? Are you going to help me, or not?" Questioned Miraz.
Rhea raised her head to face him, "No. I will not let you kill my people".
"You would rather I kill your little friend instead?" Quizzed Miraz.
"I know that you would just kill him too, once you'd destroyed the rest of the Narnians. You Telmarine's are not to be trusted" replied Rhea.
"That's my girl" Shouted Trumpkin, which made Rhea smile.

Miraz sighed loudly, before waving his hand, making his soldiers continue dragging Trumpkin out of the room.
"Fine. Have it your way" he said, before following the soldiers out.
"Stay strong!" Yelled Trumpkin, before he was pulled through the door and out of sight.
Alone once more, Rhea didn't know what else to do, so she sat in the corner of her cell and pulled her knees up to herself for protection.
She could only hope that someone would rescue her, but deep down she knew that no Narnian was brave enough or stupid enough to attack the Telmarine castle.
Which meant her chances of getting out alive, and seeing the forest again, were very slim.