16. Guardian Of The Forest

Parties celebrating Caspian's coronation went on all night. Fireworks were even released into the air, spreading the love and happiness that people were feeling.
But Rhea didn't attend any of these parties.
Instead, her and Aslan were in a secret grove, in the middle of the forest, waiting for the dryads to finish coming out of hibernation.
All of her friends had offered to come with her, but she said that she wanted to share the experience with Aslan alone. So when night fell, the two of them headed into the forest together, and waited for the dryads to arrive.

"I've been the only dryad for so long, that it's going to be strange to see another one of my species. I've forgotten what it's like to look at someone with the same face as me" admitted Rhea.
"Your parents will not be returning tonight. Nor will anyone you knew from your villiage, for they were killed before they could enter hibernation" reminded Aslan softly.
"I know. But it will still be nice to have contact with another dryad. The trees have been speaking to me for years, it's true, but most of the trees are not dryads, so talking to them didn't count" replied Rhea.
"Even though they were asleep, the dryads were listening to everything that has happened. So, they will know what you did for them. And I expect they will be eager to thank you".

"How will they all find their way here?" Questioned Rhea.
"They will use their connection to the earth, to find you. I expect the trees will also whisper to them, telling them where you are" answered Aslan.
"I'm not sure how I am going to react around them. I mean, I am more powerful than them, but they are much older and wiser than me. So, I don't know how they will treat me" replied Rhea.
"They will be in awe of you. For you were able to bring them out of hibernation, when no one else could. You are their hero and their saviour"
"I don't feel much like a hero. More like a scared little girl who is in way over her head"
"Not many scared little girls could do what you did today".

"You sound like Caspian. Did Caspian tell you that he wants to make me a lady at court. He wants me to be an ambassador for the forest. A bridge of sorts between the Narnians and the Telmarine's. Even though I am not of noble blood, he wants to give me a title, making me the Lady of the Forest" revealed Rhea.
"His majesty did inform me of his plans" replied Aslan.
"Well, what did you tell him? Because I won't do it without your consent. So, what did you say to him?" Asked Rhea.
"I told him that it was a wonderful idea".

"So, you're really O.K with me being the Lady of the Forest?" Questioned Rhea.
"Yes. These woods will need protection, and I can think of no better guardian, than you" informed Aslan.
"Thank you... There has never been a female Narnian in the Telmarine court before, so I am a little nervous about what the future holds for me"
"I know you will make me proud".

Several long minutes later, Rhea heard movement all around them.
She was instantly on high alert, and stood with her hands raised defensively, in case she was attacked.
"It is alright, you have no need to be afraid" reassured Aslan.
Rhea didn't like lowering her guard, but she trusted Aslan, so she let her arms fall back by her sides.
She watched as dozens of figures began to make their way into the clearing.
Rhea gasped as she saw the sheer number of dryads who were beginning to arrive.
Numerous variations of her species started to appear.
And she couldn't contain her excitement at how many dryads were now in a circle around her.

Rhea had expected maybe 20 or so dryads would arrive that night.
But instead, she saw at least 100 of her own kind stood before her.
She tried to remain strong and not burst into happy tears, for she didn't want the others to think she was an unstable, emotional wreck.
She did her best to keep herself composed, and not jump for joy, as that wouldn't make her look very dignified. And she wanted to make a good first impression.
"Welcome back, my friends. I give you your saviour; Rhea, the Lady of the Forest" Announced Aslan, as he gestured towards Rhea who was stood at his side.

There was an awkward silence, for a moment, but then every single dryad dropped down onto one knee, bowing to Rhea.
She looked at all those who were showing her respect, and she did not know what to to.
Rhea had not been trained to be a hero or a leader, so she wasn't sure how her people wanted her to respond.
She turned her head to Aslan, looking at him with pleading eyes, as she silently asked him for help.
"Arise my people!" Instructed Aslan.

One by one, the dryads stood to their feet, and all gazed expectantly at Rhea.
"It is time for you to return the excess power inside you, to the earth" Aslan said quietly to Rhea.
She sighed and nodded her head, "Yes, Aslan".
Even though she didn't want to lose the powerful feeling inside her, and become weak again, she knew she had no choice.
She had to return the power inside her, to the earth, so that the rest of the trees and dryads could feel strong again.

Rhea stepped away from Aslan, and bent down onto all fours.
She closed her eyes and allowed the roots on her to enter the ground, connecting her to the earth.
Then, instead of drawing energy to her, like she normally did, she forced the power inside her to go back into the ground, where in belonged.
She gasped as the power flooded out of her, taking her strength with it.

Once the magic was gone, Rhea stood to her feet, and as she did, she wobbled, nearly falling over.
She suddenly felt tired and weak, which frightened her, as she could no longer defend herself if she was attacked.
"Well done. That was a very noble thing you did. Not many people would be able to give up the earth's magic like that, after feeling so powerful. You should be proud of yourself" praised Aslan.
"Don't mention it. It was nothing" mumbled Rhea.
"Most people wouldn't have given up that power without a fight. They would have wanted to keep it for themselves"
"The power was not mine to keep. I had to give it back".

Aslan smiled, "I know. And that is the reason I chose you. I could see that you had a good heart".
"Thank you for trusting me to do the right thing" replied Rhea.
"I knew I could rely on you... Now, look at what you have done for your people" informed Aslan, as he placed his paw hard on the ground.
Rhea gasped as the earth beneath them began to glow, as if the roots were made of gold.
She watched as the power in the earth entered each of the dryads, filling them with energy, and making them glow.
All around her she could see the dryads smile, as they were given back their power.

"You have revived your people, and given them hope. You truely are the guardian of the forest" announced Aslan.
The dryads began to move closer to Rhea, forming a very tight circle around her.
Those closest to Rhea, placed their hands on her shoulders, and the dryads behind them, placed their hands on the dryads in front of them.
In a matter of seconds, all the dryads had made an intertwining connection. And Rhea could see herself begin glow, like the others.
She no longer felt like she was missing something, as the hole in her heart, that she had felt when she had lost her power, had now been filled.

"As long as you have your people with you, you will never be powerless or alone ever again. You are all connected to the earth, and nothing will ever tear you apart. When you work together, your magic will be just as powerful as when you were by yourself" informed Aslan.
Rhea shook her head, "No, together, we will be more powerful than I was when I was alone. Trees are not meant to work alone, and we thrive best when we are all together. And even if I never feel powerful again, like I was earlier today, it does not matter. I do not need power anymore, for I have my people now, and they are all I will ever need. We may not be related by blood, but we are a family. And my family matters more to me, than any amount of power".