12. Awaken

Kneeling at Aslan's feet was the only thing Rhea was capable of doing.
She was filled with so many emotions, as being in the presence of the creator of Narnia, was overwhelming for her.
"Arise, young one" instructed Aslan.
Rather shakily, Rhea stood to her feet. But even once she was stood, she could not look in Aslan's eyes, for he was far too intimidating.
"It is an honour to be in your presence, my lord- I mean, your majesty- I mean your highness" stuttered Rhea.
Aslan chuckled, "You can call me Aslan".
"Right. Of course. Aslan" mumbled Rhea.

"You've grown" commented Lucy, as she stroked Aslan's mane tenderly.
"Every year as you grow, so do I" replied Aslan.
"I'm sorry I didn't come to you sooner. I knew that I saw you across the gorge, but the others didn't believe me" admitted Lucy.
"But why should their lack of faith stop you from coming to me?"
"I guess I was too afraid to speak up... If I had come to find you earlier, would all those people still have died? Could I have stopped that from happening?"
"We can never know what could have happened".

"Why haven't you come to help us sooner? Why didn't you come roaring in to save the day, like last time?" Questioned Lucy.
"Things never happen the same way twice, dear one" answered Aslan.
"Does this mean you aren't going to help us?" Asked Rhea nervously.
"It does not. What has happened, is in the past. We must now look to the future" replied Aslan.
"So, you are going to help us defeat the Telmarine's?" Quizzed Rhea.
"I am. And you two are both going to help me".

"I will try. But I just wish that I was braver" admitted Lucy.
Aslan chuckled, "If you were any braver, you'd be a lioness".
"Are you going to wake up the trees, so that they can help us fight?" Questioned Rhea.
"No. I am not going to wake them up. But you are" revealed Aslan.
"But I am nowhere near powerful enough to do something like that" replied Rhea.
"You are more powerful than you think"
"I tried to wake up the trees when I was younger, but it didn't work"
"Your power has grown since then, and you are currently standing in the deepest part of the forest, where the magic is strongest. You will also have me to help you this time".

"Wouldn't it be quicker and easier for you to do it yourself?" Quizzed Rhea.
"It would. But it is not my responsibility. You are the last dryad, therefore it is up to you. The power of the earth has been flooding into you for years. It is time for you to use that power for good, and reawaken the rest of your kind" informed Aslan.
"You mean that I can turn the other dryads back into their natural forms?" Asked Rhea.
"Yes. Only you have the power to pull them out of their tree forms, which they have been trapped in for hundreds of years"
"So, I won't be the last dryad anymore?"
"No, you won't. You cannot bring back those who have died, but you have the power to wake up those who have been in hibernation for all this time".

"How do I do it? How do I wake them up?" Questioned Rhea.
"You must connect to the earth beneath your feet, and will the forest to wake up" instructed Aslan.
"I do not think that I am strong enough" mumbled Rhea.
"You must have faith in yourself, or you will never succeed. However, I will give you a boost, to aid you on your mission".
Aslan stepped closer to Rhea and breathed deeply onto her face.
She could feel his power fill her insides, giving her the strength to do what needed to be done.
"Here goes nothing" sighed Rhea.

After taking a deep breath, Rhea got down on to all fours and allowed her roots to grow out of her and into the earth.
She then closed her eyes, letting herself feel the forest around her with her mind.
She reached out and connected herself to every single living thing in the woods.
Rhea gasped loudly as she felt the forest respond, and latch on to her.
The feeling was overwhelming, and Rhea was struggling to hold on to the power.
"I can't do it" screamed Rhea, as she felt the energy of the forest begin to leave her.
"You can. The forest is at your command. All you need to do is order it to wake up, and it will obey you" informed Aslan calmly.

Rhea tried to focus on Aslan's reassuring words, to keep her grounded in the moment.
She took a few deep breaths, before opening her eyes and giving her instruction.
"Awaken!" She announced.
The forest around her began to rumble as it obeyed her wish.
She looked up and saw the trees beside her begin to shrink and form humanoid bodies.
"I did it" gasped Rhea.
"I had complete faith in you" replied Aslan.

"I knew you could do it. You are no longer the last dryad" grinned Lucy, as she helped Rhea to stand up.
"What happens now?" Rhea asked Aslan.
"The dryads may take some time to come fully out of hibernation. But they should have awakened by the end of the day" answered Aslan.
"We don't have that kind of time. The Narnians need us now. They need reinforcements, or the Telmarine's are going to win the battle" said Rhea sadly.
"I know. Which is why I am going to send you back to the battle ground, to assist with the fight" revealed Aslan.

Rhea frowned, "Me? But I'm not a soldier".
"You will command the trees, and instruct them to fight the Telmarine soldiers. They will continue to obey your every command, until I allow the power inside you, to return to the earth" admitted Aslan.
"Aren't you going to come with me?" Asked Rhea.
"No. Lucy and I have a mission of our own. We are going to go around the Telmarine army, and cut them off, so that they cannot retreat across the bridge. We will have a little suprise waiting for them, when they reach us"
"I see. Well, I'd better get going. It's going to take me a while to get back, since you frightened off the horses".

Aslan smiled, "Don't worry, I can get you back there in a matter of seconds".
"You can?" Questioned Rhea.
"Yes. Do you trust me?" Asked Aslan.
"Of course"
"Well then, hold on tight, and we will see you again very soon"
"Hold on tight to what?".
Aslan didn't reply. Instead, he opened his mouth and let out a deafening roar, which sent Rhea flying through the forest, at immense speeds.
And when she opened her eyes, she found herself sitting in the tree line beside the tomb, opposite the battle.
She quickly jumped to her feet and prepared herself for the fight that was to come.