19. One Family

With the old kings and queens of Narnia gone, Rhea felt quite lost and alone.
After the meeting in the town square, her and Caspian headed into the throne room, both feeling rather empty.
Caspian had always looked to Peter for advice, but now that he was gone, Caspian would have no one to guide him.
"I don't think I can do this" mumbled Caspian, as he sat down on the step below his throne.
"Aslan thinks you can" replied Rhea, as she sat down beside him.
"I know, but I can't. I may have been born a prince, but my uncle made sure that I would never be ready to take the throne. He stopped my professor from teaching me how to be a king. So, I have no idea how to lead these people" admitted Caspian.

"Neither do I. The dryads voted for me to become their leader last night, but I'm only 13, I don't know how to look after myself, let alone rule an entire species" said Rhea.
"I'm not an adult yet either. I don't know what I'm doing" replied Caspian.
"I have no idea how I am going to lead the dryads, and have time to come here to talk to you. I also have to make time for Trumpkin and Trufflehunter... I can't help but think that I have betrayed them. Because I have a new family now, with my own people. But they were the ones who took me in when I had no one to look after me. They were there for me when no one else was, and now I have cast them aside to be with my own kind. How am I supposed to deal with that?".

The throne room doors swung open and Aslan walked in.
Rhea felt sure that he had been listening to her and Caspian's conversation, on the other side of the door, for he looked disappointed in them.
He also had a sad look on his face, which didn't fill Rhea with confidence.
"I expect you are here to tell us that you are leaving as well. The last time the Pevensies left, you disappeared as well. So, I have a feeling that we won't see you again until they return" said Rhea glumly.
Although Peter had promised that Aslan would look after Narnia, Rhea didn't feel like she could trust the lion to look after her people, for he had allowed them to be wiped out by Telmarine's in the past.

"I have many other worlds that require my attention. Narnia is not my only responsibility, which is why I cannot spend all of my time here" admitted Aslan softly.
"I know, and I'm sorry for being so rude. But I'm just terrified of what is going to happen when you leave. As the last time you left, everything went wrong. However, my fear is no excuse for my rudeness, so I am sorry" apologised Rhea.
"As I told you before, fear is natural in unfamiliar situations, and not something you should be embarrassed about. But in this case, you do not need to be afraid, for I have no plans to leave just yet" replied Aslan.

Caspian seemed to perk up at this news.
"You aren't leaving yet?" He questioned, hoping he had heard right.
"No. After being away for so long, I think it is only fair that I spend some more time here, before going away again. I also think that my presence here is still needed, for the two rulers I chose to look after my people, doubt my decision" answered Aslan.
Rhea hung her head guiltily, "Can you blame us for thinking such things? We are still young and we have so much to learn. It is only natural that we are terrified of becoming leaders and role models to our people".

"You think that wisdom only comes with age?" Asked Aslan.
"Well, it normally does" admitted Rhea.
"And is wisdom the only thing needed in a good leader?" Questioned Aslan.
"No, but I'm sure it helps"
"I did not choose the oldest or the wisest person to lead my people. I could have done, but I did not want to. I chose you both, because I could see the potential in you. You have good hearts, which is why you will make good leaders. You may be young, but that means you can learn as you grow. You will make mistakes, but it is only through those mistakes that you can grow into better people. You will learn wisdom as you get older, it is not something that can just be handed to you".

"I have already made many mistakes. And these mistakes cost people their lives. I also almost brought back the White Witch by accident. So, how can you be sure that I will make a good leader?" Questioned Caspian.
"I am an excellent judge of character. And I do not judge people for their mistakes, as long as they learn from them. I have watched you both since you were children, which is why I am sure that you will become benevolent rulers in the future" revealed Aslan.
"But Aslan, I can't be in three places at once. I cannot rule the dryads, be a lady at court, and still spend time with my family. Me, Trumpkin and Trufflehunter may not be a conventional family, but I can't give them up, to be a leader. I just won't do it" informed Rhea.

"I would not ask you to give up your family. It is possible for you to do all the things you wish, without being in three places at once. You think you must have to choose one or the other, but it is not the case. You will be able to spend time with all of your loved ones, and still have time for yourself, I promise" reassured Aslan.
"How can you be so sure that I can do it all?" Questioned Rhea.
"Because I know all. Which is why I know you will be able to do this. All of those in Narnia belong to one family, so you do not need to choose between different families, for all Narnians are connected. We are all one family, so you are never alone".

"Are you going to help me and Rhea be the rulers you want us to be?" Asked Caspian.
"No, you must make your own path, and not lean on me for support, for I will not always be here to help you" answered Aslan.
"But I thought you said you weren't us leaving yet" frowned Rhea.
"I am not. I will stay a little while to give you support and reassurance. But it is not my job to guide you and shape you the way I want. You must be responsible for your own successes and failures. I cannot always be your crutch. You must learn to walk on your own two feet" replied Aslan.

Caspian sighed and stood to his feet, "Well then, I suppose there is no time like the present. I must create a royal court, to ensure stability in my kingdom. But unlike before, this court will be made up of both Telmarine's and Narnians".
He down to Rhea and held out his hand.
"Are you ready, Lady of the Forest?" Asked Caspian.
"Not in the slightest" mumbled Rhea.
Despite her fears, she took hold of Caspian's hand, and allowed him to pull her up, "But let's do it anyway".
"I'm glad to have you by my side" smiled Caspian.
"You too. It might not be an easy task in front of us. But Aslan has faith in us, so we cannot let him down" replied Rhea.
"We will make him proud"
"I hope you are right".