17. The Tree Portal

After spending all night talking to the dryads, Rhea was very tired the next morning.
She wanted to spend the next few days getting to know her people better, but Caspian had organised a meeting in the town square on Aslan's orders, so Rhea knew she had to attend.
Rhea had been made the leader of the dryads, despite her young age, as there was no one else they wanted to represent them. They had elected her as their leader, despite her protests.
So now Rhea spoke not only for herself, but for the rest of her species.

When she arrived at the Telmarine town, she no longer created earth patches as she walked on the concrete, as she did not have that power anymore. But the ones she had made the day before were still there, so she used those to cross through the town.
Every single Telmarine and Narnian stood in the square, and they all made way for Rhea when she arrived.
She felt rather self conscious as she walked passed everyone to get to where the kings and queens were stood by Aslan.
Luckily it was not just the royals who stood at the front, as Trufflehunter, Trumpkin, Reepicheep, doctor Cornelius, and Glenstorm were also there.
So Rhea could stand beside them, without feeling too out of place.

"It is good to see you" said Caspian as Rhea passed him.
"You too, your majesty" smiled Rhea.
"Aslan says you spent the night with your people" replied Caspian.
"I did"
"So, you are no longer the last dryad"
"Nope. There's at least a hundred of us now. But they chose to remain in the forest today, so I am here on their behalf, since they elected me as their leader last night"
"You will have to tell me all about it, once this meeting is over"
"I will, I promise".

Rhea left Caspian's side and went to stand next to Trumpkin, so that the king could address his people.
"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man. Any Telmarine's who wish to stay and live in peace, are most welcome to. But, for those who don't, Aslan will return you to the realm of our forefathers" announced Caspian.
The Telmarine's gasped at this suggestion, and began muttering amongst themselves.
"It has been generations since we left Telmar. We have no idea what is there now" shouted one man.

"It is not Telmar that we are referring to. Your ancestors were pirates, run aground on an island. On that island they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens. It is to that world that I can return you. It is a good place for any wishing to make a new start" informed Aslan.
After a moment of silence, one brave man stepped forward.
"I will accept the offer" he announced.
As Rhea looked closer at him, she recognised him as General Glozelle, the man who had kidnapped her and Trumpkin.
She could guess why he wanted to leave Narnia, and make a new start, as he had killed many Narnians in his life.

Caspian's aunt, Prunaprismia, also stepped out of the crowd with her baby in her arms, and her father at her side.
"So will we" she said.
"Because you have spoken first, your lives in this new world shall be good" informed Aslan, before breathing deeply on them.
He then turned Rhea, which she was not expecting.
"I need you to make a tree for me" announced Aslan.

"But Aslan, I'm not in the forest right now, so I can't summon the power of the earth to help me. Which means there is no way I will be able to grow a fully grown tree on my own" reminded Rhea quietly, as she tried not to think about all of the people staring at her.
"You do not need help from the earth, for you can do this yourself. There is enough greenery here from yesterday, to assist you. And you should know by now, that I would never ask you to do something that I did not think you could do" replied Aslan.

Rhea could feel everyones eyes on her, making her feel extremely self-conscious. And she was terrified of looking like a fool in front of everyone.
She tried to block out all the people around her, as she knelt to the ground, placing her hand on one of the small patches of grass she had made the day before.
Using all her strength, she willed the earth to respond to her, and forced a tree to grow out of the concrete a few steps in front of her.
The crowd gasped as the fully formed tree exploded out of the ground, not stopping until it was several feet tall.

The act of making the tree tired Rhea out, but luckily Trumpkin was there for her to lean on when she stood to her feet.
Aslan smiled at her, indicating that she had done a good job.
The lion then roared loudly at the tree, causing it to pull itself apart, leaving a large hole in the middle.
General Glozelle, and Prunaprismia's family then began making their way towards the tree.
And as they stepped through the archway, they disappeared, making everyone gasp.

"How do we know that he is not sending us to our deaths?" Shouted one angry Telmarine man.
Rhea rolled her eyes at his suggestion, for there were far easier ways to kill someone, than have them all step through a tree, one by one.
Reepicheep jumped forward and bowed his head at Aslan.
"If it can be of any help, I will take a dozen mice through, without delay, to prove that it is safe" offered Reepicheep.
"Thank you, but that will not be necessary, my friend" replied Aslan, before turning to look at the Pevensies, who were stood opposite Rhea.

A look passed between Peter and Aslan, before the eldest Pevensie child stepped forward.
"We will go!" Peter announced, shocking everyone around him.
Rhea suddenly felt sick to her stomach.
The last time the kings and queens had left Narnia, the Telmarine's had invaded, and the Narnians had been hunted almost into extinction.
If the Pevensies left Narnia, who would protect them then?