10. Battle Plans

While Caspian and Rhea were talking on top of the tomb, they saw the entire Telmarine army emerge out of the forest.
Thousands of armed men appeared, with Miraz leading them.
The trees message was wrong, for Miraz had managed to amass his army and get them across the bridge much faster than anyone had expected.
The enemy was on their doorstep, and they didn't stand much chance of winning.
Which is why everyone headed inside the tomb to come up with a battle plan.

Convincing the Pevensies that searching for Aslan was a good idea, was fairly easy. And Lucy was eager to go with Rhea to look for Aslan.
Unfortunately though, not everyone was as on board with this plan as the kings and queens.
"Tell me this is a joke" begged Trumpkin, once the plan had been explained to him.
"No one is joking. This is our only chance" replied Peter.
"So, your big plan is to send two young girls into the deepest, darkest part of the forest, all alone, with no one to defend them, on a wild goose chase to find someone who doesn't exist" frowned Trumpkin.

"They won't be alone. I will be going with them" announced Susan.
"Haven't enough of us died already?" Questioned Trumpkin, as he looked over at Lucy and Susan.
Trufflehunter sighed, and stepped towards Trumpkin.
"Nikabrik was my friend too, but he gave up hope. Queen Lucy and Rhea have not given up hope. And neither have I" informed Trufflehunter.
Trumpkin turned from the kings and queens to face Rhea.
"Please don't do this" he begged.
"I have to" insisted Rhea.
"Why?" Asked Trumpkin.
"You used to tell me that I was special, and that I had an important future ahead of me. You said I was saved from that forest fire as a child, for a reason. And I think this is the reason".

"I can't risk losing you as well" admitted Trumpkin.
"I don't plan on getting killed. I have every intention of coming back to you. But I have to do this. We can't fight this war without help, and I cannot take on the whole Telmarine army by myself. We need to find Aslan, because without him we don't stand a chance. We also need to reawaken the trees, and I'm the only one who can do it, since I am the last dryad. Which is why I have to travel into the darkest part of the woods, because that is where the magic is strongest. Only there will I be able to awaken the trees, and if we are lucky, we might even find Aslan waiting for us when we get there. For I feel like he is calling me there, to meet him" informed Rhea.

"If there really is no stopping you, then I'm coming with you, to protect you" announced Trumpkin.
"No, we need you here" insisted Rhea.
"She's right. We need every fighter to stay here and help hold off the Telmarine forces until the girls get back" said Peter.
"I don't need you to keep me safe, Trumpkin. I'm not a child anymore, I can take of myself. I will also have Queen Susan's amazing bow skills to protect me. So, I will be fine" reassured Rhea.
"I just don't want you doing anything dangerous" replied Trumpkin.
"To be honest, I think I would be more in danger here, as this is where the battle is happening".

"If I may. I think I have an idea of how to hold off the battle" announced Caspian.
He was sat in the corner of the room beside Professor Cornelius, and he had remained silent so far, for he was still embarrassed about not sticking to the plan the day before, and nearly bringing back the White Witch.
Peter gestured for Caspian to join them in the centre of the room, and rather timidly the Prince joined him.
"Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer. But now that he is king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. I can think of one tradition that might buy us time" continued Caspian.

"Go on" encouraged Peter.
After disagreeing with Caspian in the past, Peter was more inclined to listen to the prince, since his own plan to save them all, had failed.
"If you were to challenge Miraz to a one on one fight to the death, it could give us more time. One king versus another. If we told him that if he wins, we will surrender, he will take up the challenge. Even though he knows that if we win, he will have to give the Narnians back their home. But if it did all go wrong, it would still delay the battle and give the girls time to find Aslan" informed Caspian.

"There's no way Miraz would enter a fight against Peter, when he knows his army can wipe us out in seconds. He wouldn't take the risk of getting killed" admitted Rhea.
"You don't know Miraz like I do. He won't want his people, and the other lords to think that he is too cowardly to enter the fight, especially as his opponent is half his age. He will want to show off, to remind people that he is the king, and therefore not to be messed with. Even if he doesn't think he will win the fight, he will enter, for he won't have people calling him a coward behind his back" revealed Caspian.

"Fighting Miraz will not be easy" Edmund said quietly to his brother.
Peter sighed, "I know. Even if I won the fight, I doubt the Telmarine's would keep their word and give the Narnians back their homes. But it's the only plan we've got. We have to hold off the fight for as long as we can, to give the girls time to find Aslan".
"How will we get word to Miraz, and inform him of our intentions?" Asked Rhea.
"I will send Edmund to their camp with a couple of guards, under a white banner, signalling that we mean them no harm and just wish to talk. I will write a note now, which Edmund can read out to Miraz, in front of all his lords. And even if refuses to fight me, it will still give us a bit more time. If that's alright with you, Ed?" Questioned Peter.

Edmund nodded his head, "I'll do it".
"Good. I better get writing this letter then" replied Peter.
"And we should be going. The sooner we leave, the better. For we need as much time as possible" admitted Rhea.
"Yes. Go to the horses now, and take as few as you can, so that the Telmarine's won't notice you sneaking away" instructed Peter.
"Me and Lucy will ride together, and Rhea can have her own. For two horses is better than three" replied Susan.
"Alright. Good luck"
"You too".

Rhea hugged Trumpkin and Trufflehunter goodbye, before making her way over to Susan and Lucy.
But before they could go, Caspian stopped them.
"Maybe it's time you had this back" admitted Caspian, as he looked at Susan and pulled out her horn from his pocket.
"Why don't you hold on to it? You might need to call me again" smiled Susan.
Caspian grinned, before taking Susan's hand and kissing it softly.
"Take care" he whispered.
"You too" mumbled Susan, before placing her arms around Lucy and Rhea and escorting them out of the room.
"You might need to call me again" teased Lucy.
"Oh shut up" replied Susan.