Just A Normal Girl

On this part of the walk, I know I'll be safe. I walk as quickly as I can past the caves of family friends and neighbours as I hurry home. I throw open the metal door with one hand and am immediately pulled into the house by my parents.

"Where were you?" asks Dad, grabbing the containers of water and placing them on the floor so roughly that a bit splashes over the sides.

"We were worried sick," says Mom, a frown wrinkling her face. "You're late."

"Sorry," I say. "Something happened."

"Are you okay?" asks Mom. The wrinkles getting deeper.

I don't want to worry them with another thing but they have to know about Stooders and that Trunken and the whole nasty incident.

"The Waterstealers almost got me," I say. "The one called Stooders was with them. He killed Jude."

Mom puts her arms around me and hugs me close.

"Are you all right honey?"

"Yeah. I guess so."

Do I tell my parents what happened with me? Do I tell them I had somehow scared off the thieves with some strange power? Maybe an ability? No. They have too much on their minds already. I don't want to burden them with anything more. Maybe it wasn't even me who had made those lights in the passageway. Who knows? I know I had no idea what had happened and I'm not going to frighten my family.

"You sure?" asks Dad, pinching my cheeks. "You're very pale."

"Ow," I say. "That hurts. And, yeah. I'm sure I'm okay. It's just..."

"Just what, Naia?" says Mom.

"Those Waterstealers called me an Aeternian. Like Syon's mother. Do you think they think I'm one? Are the SCM going to take me too?"

Dad's hands form fists and I think he might run out of the cave and track down Stooders and Trunken and beat them black and blue.

"If the Waterstealers know everything," Dad says, "the Motos will soon too."

"Know what?" I ask. "I also met this man who said he knows what I am too. Am I Aeternian?"

"Which man?" asks Mom.

"Theo Raleigh."

"I know him," says Dad. "He's part of a rebellion force active in Hunter's Range. Did he tell you what he was doing here?'

"He moved here with his daughter. Too many Motos in the other place."

"If Theo's wrapped up in the revolt, he must be a dangerous man," says Mom. "He's also a wanted man and putting his child at risk too."

"Hyla's Aeternian. Like me?" I ask.

"Yes, you are Aeternian," says Dad. Finally. "Keep it to yourself."

Cool. Next question.

"I'd really, really like to know if the Motos are going to burst in here and get me," I ask.

"No one is going to get you," says Dad. "They'll have to climb over my dead body."

"That's a bit dramatic," says Mom, rolling her eyes at dad.

"You never take the GlobalGov stuff seriously, Peggy," says Dad. "I would have thought yesterday opened your eyes to what's happening."

"Hello!" I say, waving. "I'm still here so don't fight. By the way, what's my ability?"

That stops the bickering.

"Um, water?" says Mom. (More like asking Dad.)

"Probably water," says Dad more decisively. "For now, no mention of being an Aeternian, especially in front of your sisters."

All of a sudden, I feel tired. My eyelids keep sliding down my eyeballs and my body wants to lie down. I'm exhausted and I can't do anything to keep awake.

"I think I need a nap," I say. "Wake me up for supper."

I go to my room and get under the sheets on my bed. I blow out the lamp and get comfy. But of course, now I can't sleep. If I'm an Aeternian, what does that mean? Am I still human? Am I still me if I'm an Aeternian? How did I generate light that hurts? Can I do it again?

Laying on my back in the darkness I try to generate the sparks I had formed earlier. I scrunch up my face and push on my brain.

Nothing happens.

I wave my hands in the air. Wiggle them this way. Waggle them that way.

Nothing happens.

"Shit!" I exclaim and hit the wall in frustration.

"Ouch!" I cut my little finger on a sharp piece of rock that hasn't been levelled. It hurts. Not that much but I start to cry. It wounded my pride mostly. Made the horror of what could have happened today explode in my brain. Brought back thoughts of Jude. Poor little Jude. Tears stream down my face. Pour out of my eyes and land on my pillow.

A bright light flashes. That same light that I saw three years ago when I was trying to save Jude. It lights up the whole room up in one instant. Briefly.

Another flash.

It's bright enough I can make out the etchings my youngest sister has scratched into the walls. I sit up in my bed. Stop crying. The light stops too. At this point I'm too overwhelmed to try and figure it all out. I want it to go away. I can't deal with it. I want to go back to being normal. I lie down and close my eyes.