Never, Ever

Crinae, Hyla and Chuck follow me outside. It's calm on top of the hill, almost peaceful except for the fact that the Motos in the valley have their weapons pointed up at the Aeternians. The GlobalGov is dressed in navy blue uniforms complete with helmets and guns. They're crouched on one knee, ready to react. There are so many lines of them I can't see the brown ground.

The Aeternians are lined up too. There are rows upon rows of people standing side by side. In-between the two sides is Rassel and a giant of a Moto.

"Hey," whispers Crinae. "Is that Goliath?"

"It is," I whisper back.

Crinae will never forget the mammoth man who scared her at the community feast. He's also the man who took Elody.

"What are they doing?" Crinae asks.

"Talking," says John, who's come to stand beside us. "The Motos are trying to make us surrender. Sebastian wants us alive."

A cold breeze ripples across the hill. The gust kicks my curls into my eyes. The wind is not natural. An Aeternian is losing it. I push my hair out of my face.

"I can't hear anything," says Hyla.

"Neither can I," says Crinae, "and I have to pee."

"Pee?" I ask. "Now? Right now?"

"Yep," says Crinae, hopping around a bit. "Sorry."

Holy, Crinae is annoying! I don't want to leave but I don't want to leave her alone.

"Fine," I say. "I'll take you to the bathroom."

I open the door and go past the kitchen where some kids are playing with some empty bottles and spoons. One baby is wailing and another one is laughing and another one is wailing and laughing. I'm glad I'm not looking after any of them.

"Well, I can hear them," says Crinae.

"Just run to the bathroom," I say. "I'll wait here in the hallway."

I lean against the wall and start tapping on it with my foot.

Oh no!

In the melee, I've completely forgotten about the amber. I've got to get it.

"What's wrong?" asks Criinae, returning from the bathroom.

"Um, nothing. I've got to get a hat from our room. Give me a sec."

"I'll come with you."

"No. It's okay. Just wait for me by the door."

I run down the corridor, swing the bedroom door open and shove my hand under my pillow. I feel the hard edges of the stone and pull it out. I shove it into the pocket of my skirt and take off running again.

"That was quick," says Crinae. "Where's your hat?"

"Oh, I realized I didn't want it. Let's go back out."

We step outside and I close the door.

Clang!

"Oops," I say to the Aeternians who turn to stare. "That was a little too hard."

The door slam hadn't escaped the attention of the Motos below us. I see Goliath pointing in my direction. Surely he doesn't mean me. I look behind me and there's no one there.

"Me?" I ask out loud.

"No," says John. "He's asking for Crinae."

"No, no, no," I say, shaking my head. "He can't be asking for her. She hates him."