Red Line

"Make your way to the dining tent immediately. Make your way to the dining tent immediately. Make your way to the dining tent immediately."

The announcement wakes everyone in the tent in an instant.

"Hurry, hurry," says a woman to me in the dark. "We have two minutes to get to the meal hall or we'll all be in trouble."

I move quickly as do Crinae, Hyla and Chuck. We stumble out from under the canvas and follow the rest through the maze of tent pegs and tent wires and tent walls to arrive at an enormous tent filled with tables and chairs and light. And Motos. Tal points out where we are to sit and takes a seat across from us.

"When the next bell rings, that's when you rise and say the prayer for Sebastian. Even if you don't know the words you must look like you're saying something. Once you're finished, you can head to the front of the tent and get your food."

Sure enough, when the bell shrikes, everyone rises to their feet and begins chanting in unison. I've heard this creed before at the community feasts so I mumble along.

"Oh, Sebastian. Leader of good, leader of all, leader supreme.

Let us give thanks to you for our daily bread and all that you have given us.

You are one, you are us, you are perfection.

Amen"

I change the last word to "Blah blah." No way am I praising that Reg.

"Go," says Tal, pushing Crinae and Chuck up to the line where other children are heading. "You too," she nods at me. "Kids first."

I'm not kid but Crinae and Chuck certainly are and I bet they're hungry. We step into the queue of silent children and wait for our turn for food. Not that I think we want any of it. As the trays go by I see the stuff is grey and lumpy and not so delicious looking.

"Urgh," says Hyla, eyeing a plate. "That's disgusting."

There has to be at least one hundred kids here. That's a lot. I scan the rows and stop at one particular girl. There's something about her that's familiar – it's her blonde curly hair. I can't see her face. I need a closer look.

Stepping out of line, I head to the girl.

"You!" shouts a Moto at me, startling me. "Get back in your place or you'll be sorry."

I duck my head and walk back to where I was. I sidle into my spot and try to keep the tears from rolling down my cheeks. Man, this is stupid. Sniffing once or twice I send my inner crybaby back inside. There's no way the Motos are going to get me down. No way.

I pick up my head and glare at the Moto who yelled at me. Jerk. Then I stare straight ahead. Right into the eyes of Elody.

I think it's Elody.

My heart beats fast and I can't break my gaze. I can't believe what I'm seeing. Is this a dream? If I look away will she disappear?

"What are you looking at?" asks Crinae. "The Motos are watching you."

"It's Elody."

"That's not funny."

"Really! She's in front of us in the line. It's her."

"Huh?" gasps my middle sister drawing Hyla into the mix.

"What's wrong?" she asks.

"Nothing," I hiss. "Just shut up."

"Don't tell me to shut up," says Hyla, flicking my arm.

It stings and breaks my gaze from Elody. At least I know I'm not dreaming.