Golden Phoenix

The cave is never going to completely air out by the time our parents get home... If both of them come home. The whole place reeks. I'll have to start the brazier soon anyway and it makes a lot of smoke too. I glance sideways at my middle sister. I can't keep the fire a secret because Mom and Dad will definitely notice the large burn on their bed and the charred jeans. I just hope Crinae won't be all snooty about it. Although she hasn't been telling me what to do as much today.

Mom will not be happy about dad's jeans going up in smoke. I would go get water and run through the gauntlet of Waterstealers for a lifetime just to have one more lecture by Mom. Where are you, Mom?

I understand a bit about how Syon must be feeling with his mom gone and all. I'm sad and scared and don't know what to tell my sisters. They haven't asked about her though.

It's a little past lunchtime. Dad isn't home from getting water and since his face is all bashed in I'm sure someone is going to notice. A settler loyal to Sebastian will report Dad and the Motos will come for him.

"Shut up," I say to my imagination. "Stop thinking the worst."

To keep my mind off bad things, I start preparing a meal for my family. Making soup is easy. I've done it before. Elody and Crinae shuck five ears of corn and then cut up the crickets. I get some coal for the brazier and light it. I get a pot and go to get water from the bucket and there's no water.

"Shoot," I say, looking down at the container that should be capturing my mirror image.

"No water?" asks Elody. "The jug usually has some in it. Crinae had it last."

I pick up the jug and it too is empty.

"Did you drink all the water?" I ask Crinae.

"I was thirsty," she snaps.

"Well, now we don't have any water," I snap back. "None at all."

"You're the one who is supposed to be a water Aeternian," says Crinae. "But I guess you aren't a real one since you couldn't even put out that fire."

"Yeah, Naia," chirps Elody. "You're supposed to be able to make water."

"Man, you two make me angry," I say, my head throbbing with anger. "Mom hasn't taught me everything. This is all your fault, Crinae." I point at my middle sister. "You put on that light show yesterday and made Mom leave."

Crinae flops to the floor and starts thrashing her arms and legs, pounding the ground with her fists and feet.

"It's not my fault," she screams. "It's not!"

Elody kneels beside her sister and smooths her hair. Crinae stops flailing around and rolls over on her back to stare at me.

"Mom is coming back," she says. "You'll see."

I didn't mean to hurt her like this. I didn't mean what I said.

"Sorry," I say. "Crinae, I'm sorry."

Crinae sits up, eyes blurry and nose snotty.

"I know,' she says.

"Okay, then. I'm going to have to use my abilities to conjure water then!"

I stand up slowly. I'll have to do it all by myself. That's all there is to it. Last time was a huge disaster when I created that mammoth waterspout. I'm going to have to try and contain my skills. How?

"Elody, please go outside and stand guard. Close the door and don't let anyone in here."

"What about Mom and Dad?" asks Elody.