Finally

We hear the people before we see them. There's shouting and cursing and thumping... on Solomon and Katherine's door. When the people see us, they rush down the hallway towards us, yelling. It makes my headache go from bad to worse, making my brain feel like it has blisters.

"How could you spend all that time searching for that kid?" hollers one man out of the crowd of about 20. "The Motos were about to round us up and take us away. Looking for one delinquent put us at risk. You took our sentries off watch and the lighters out of Luminia. Shame on you."

Solomon shoulders slump and his head hangs low.

"Please, not in front of the children," he mutters. "They're my charges. The Waterstealer took her and she's important."

"More important than the rest of us?" asks the man, pounding his fist into his hand. "You never asked what the rest of us think. For your information, that Waterstealer is about as scary as sand."

"I'm sorry," says Solomon. His brow furrows as he tries to come up with the words to calm the angry mob.

It's an intimidating atmosphere. The hallway is tight and we're all pressed up against each other. I turn sideways to avoid the mushroom flavour breath of a woman who has her face centimetres away from mine. Nasty. Solomon reaches past her and grabs my hand, pulling me in front of him.

"Listen," he says. "We'll have more discussions tomorrow. Right now it's time for all of us to get some rest. We should all begin packing too. Our journeys to our hometowns are coming up in a couple of days. Be ready. It'll be a long journey."

My sore head is bombarded with thoughts. One right after the other. Calgary. Rassel. Dad. Elody. Mum. Finally we'll be on the move and I'll be able to do what Dad wanted.

The crowd disperses with some growls and backward glances at me.

"Trunken is scary," I say as loud as I can. Can't one person agree with me? "Solomon, this isn't my fault."

He pats my broken head.

"Shh, shh," he chides.

"What did you mean when you said I was important?" I ask.

"We're all important," he soothes. "Everyone in Nakimu brings something to the settlement. Katherine and I bring leadership. Adam brings security. You and your sister and Hyla bring youth. We all work together for a better future."

"Right."

"Time for sleep," says Solomon. "You haven't had much tonight and it's almost morning."

We head to our hollows with his kinds words smoothing the cracks in my mind.

I turn to wave goodbye to him and my hand wilts in mid-air. Solomon is staring after us: arms crossed, lips pursed, eyes narrowed.

My mentor's aggressive stance throws me and I walk faster to catch up with my sister and Hyla. I wait until we're out of earshot to tell them about what Trunken told me.

"He said we're in danger here?" asks Hyla. "Like danger danger? From whom?"

"Keep your voice down!" I say. "Maybe he meant Nakimu?"

"People are nice here," says Crinae. "It was Trunken who hit you."

"I don't know what he meant," I say, "but I never want to see that little Waterstealer as long as I live."

I gulp. Solomon never did tell me if they caught Trunken. He might be slouching about the corridors?

"Do you want to stay with us?" Crinae asks Hyla, who is about to head to her own chamber. Solo.