I Think I Think Too Much

In the morning, an unfamiliar woman gets me and Crinae up and feeds us breakfast. She only tells us her name when we ask, Medicoco. Other than that, she doesn't say much else except for good bye when she sends us to school.

We don't see Hyla. She's probably in her advanced class while Crinae and I are stuck with the babies. We follow a couple of kids we recognize to the classroom. We greet Mr. Cho and sit down. (There's a desk for me today.) I feel lethargic this morning and I'm not up for learning. If someone asked me to go get water, I'd actually go. The room fills up with kids at least 10 years younger than me, the lectures begins.

Mr. Cho demonstrates how to move objects, or grasp them, with our individual abilities. My sister and I aren't getting the hang of it. The smaller kids can do it. They move the apple on the table at the front of class and hand it to someone else. One does this by controlling a gust of wind he conjures up. Another unleashes a thin vine of light. Me, every time I spin a water funnel and try to grab the fruit, it smashes to bits. Sending pieces everywhere including into Mr. Cho's face.

My actions cause everyone to laugh. Except for the teacher.

"Order!" he says to the other students, clapping his hands together to get everyone's attention back to the lesson.

Crinae isn't as bad as me. She produces the light vine, picks up the apple and gives it to me. Well, it lands at my feet instead of in my hand but it still gets to me. However, when she attempts to give it to someone else she can't let go and it ends in a tug-of-war.

I like to think my ability is harder to control than Crinae's. That thought is shattered, like the apple, by Mr. Cho.

"You two," he signals. "Over here."

Once we're in front of him he gives us some tips for managing our skills.

"Think of the water or the light vine as an extension of your body. It's part of you so use it as such – like a long arm. You're both using it like it's a strange source from who knows where. Naia, working with water is by far easier than what your sister has to do. Water is fluid. It'll move and spread any which way you choose. Crinae, you're doing great. Try to not think so much about it. Okay?"

"Okay," we echo.

Mr. Cho chews on his lip and taps his foot on the ground while watching us try to master the skill. I can't do it. Either the apple slips out of my grasp or my water funnel is too short or too long or too thin or too thick.

"That's enough for now," says Mr. Cho, patting me on the shoulder.

A little bit of panic builds in my chest. I'm a dud Aeternian. I'm going to practice hard later and show the teacher I can do it. Maybe I can get Hyla to help me? Nah.

But we do meet up with her after class in the training room.

"What can you do today?" she asks, arms crossed, chin in the air. "Show me."

"Um, I don't know if I can do it again," says Crinae. "I'm not good at all."

I don't like hearing how frustrated Crinae sounds.

"You're doing great!" I say to her. "Mr. Cho said you're doing a lot better than me."

"Oh, yeah?" asks Hyla.

"Ah," I stumble, not willing to give Hyla any more information. But... "I can't seem to grasp the grasping concept," I admit.

"I can show you," she says.

"It's fine," I say, shuffling my feet.

"Really," says Hyla. "I promise I won't make fun of you."

Hyla is constantly making me re-think my thinking of her. I thought for sure she would be gloating about this. Huh.