Shadow On the Wall

I can't see a thing and there's a tickle I need to scratch on my forehead. I don't dare lift a finger. The itch is creeping across my hairline and it's the only thing I can concentrate on. I slide my hand slowly up my side to my forehead to alleviate the crawling annoyance.

Scratching the itch, I jostle the coat and reveal a tiny slice of light. I can't see much but I'm looking right into Magda's bedroom room and the doorway. How long have we been hiding? What if the Motos have left 33 already? Surely a sandpour would slow their raid.

I don't know how long I've been standing with my face pressed into this hot wool. My toes are curling up in my boots. I wonder how Elody is doing out there? She's so young and sometimes says the wrong thing. What if she does that today? Why did the Motos come to 33? They were here only a few days ago.

A shadow on the bedroom wall sends my thoughts fleeing. I soon see the phantom's body and... it's Goliath. My stomach churns and sweat rolls down my forehead and into my eyes, stinging and making them water. I don't dare lift a finger. The man in front of me blurs and distorts as he takes a step toward where Crinae and I are hiding.

The crashing of pots and Magda's screams tear through the layers of bulky coats. Goliath turns his head towards the noise...and...leaves. Elijah is bawling and Magda is shouting and I want to run out and fight the Motos. This is when I should be using my skills: against the SCMs. But I don't know the first thing to do. I'm helpless and Goliath frightens me. I wonder if he hurts children?

I stay put, trying to stand still. My knees defy my orders and tremble. I'm sure the coats are vibrating.

After what seems to be an eternity and then another couple of eons, there's silence. Dead silence.

"You can come out, now girls," says Magda as she reaches into the jackets and gently touches our shoulders, guiding us into the light.

Blinking from the intensity of the brightness, I can only make out Magda and Elijah in front of me. Elody must be in the front room.

"They're gone?" I ask.

"Yes," says Magda, softer than soft. "They've left."

She then touches her lip, it's bleeding. There's also a fresh wound on her temple.

"Did that big Moto hurt you? Did he touch Elijah?"

"No, no, he left my darling alone," she says smoothing the baby's bald round head with her palm.

"Good," I say. "I'll go get Elody. She must be frightened."

"Be strong," Magda says to me and Crinae as she stretches out an arm to hold us back.

"For what?" says Crinae.

"Elody is gone. The Motos took her."

"What?" I ask. "But she was with you. I left her with you."

"When the two Motos stormed in here, they came with the largest Moto I've ever seen."

"Goliath," I say. "He was at the community feast."

"Goliath was walking towards where you were hiding and I had to stop him. I screamed and Elijah started wailing and the other Motos told me to shut him up or they would. I was settling him down and they started talking to Elody. I tried to speak for her but the Motos threatened to take Elijah.

"Then they told me they knew there were Aeternians in 33 and they named your father. The SCM said if I didn't tell them where your dad was, they'd do more than take Elijah, they'd kill him. I had to make a choice so I told them Elody was his daughter."

"You're joking right?" I ask Magda. "She's out there. I'll go get her."

I take a couple of steps towards the door and my legs give out. Magda catches me with one arm before I hit the ground.