Chapter 19- Ashley

“We what?” Luke asks, his voice ringing in my ears. I flinch.

  “We need to pick up Ashley,” I say calmly. “She said if we don’t she’s calling StarLife, and I hate to break it to you, but she has them on speed dial.”

  A guttural sound escapes Luke, and I jump.

  “Can we not?” Luke whines. His fingers drum against the steering wheel.

  “You don’t, and we break up,” I say holding my fingers up, folding them into quotation marks.

  “Ugh, fine,” Luke gives in, pushing down on the accelerator. I press a button on his radio, hoping that’s how I get it to start. I almost jump when the loud sound of cellos and basses floods the car. Classical music. No way. The light sound of a violin cuts through the other instruments, then a flute joins in as well.

  “Luke Green, a classical music fan?” My voice gives away my amusement.

  “Yeah, well, I used to play cello. My manager told me it wasn’t cool enough, so I had to quite,” Luke’s voice sounds hollow. His eyes stay on the road, but mine don’t. I can’t help but turn to look at him again. His cheeks are a slight shade of pink. I turn back towards the radio, smiling slightly.

  I turn up the volume and lean back.

  “Lucky for you, I like this song.”

  I step up Ashley’s front pathway, and lightly tap on her front door. It takes a while, but then I hear the door’s latch being moved until it clicks into the unlocked position. I groan though, when the door opens. Logan.

  “If you’re here to complain—” He starts, running his fingers through his gelled hair.

  ”Save it,” I huff, pushing past him. I literally push past him, walking straight into their house. I hear a car horn honk from behind me, but I don’t turn around to see what Luke wants. If anything, the honk is a motivator to go farther into the house, find Ashley, and get out.

  “Ashley?” I call out, my voice ringing through the empty den. I hear footsteps on the stairs and sigh with relief. One more minute in the same room with her big headed brother could suffocate me.

  “Yeah, I’m here,” Ashley huffs, smearing a deep shade of red lipstick on her lips as she passes a full length mirror in the entry way. She’s wearing a sequin top, and worn black skinny jeans that I’m pretty sure actually belong in my closet. Her hair is tangled, but I think she actually wants it to look that way, so I don’t even say anything, although many comments dance across my mind.

  “So, is that handsome boyfriend of yours driving us?” She asks, her frown turning into an anticipated smile.

  “Ash,” I warn. “I’ve told you. He isn’t my boyfriend.”