Chapter 3- Coffee With A Celebrity

I sat in the passenger seat of Luke’s 2014 Mustang, feeling out of place.

  He pointed out the window.

  “Is that it?” He asked pointing to a building to the left of us.

  I nodded.

  “Yup. That’s it.”

  We pulled up in front of Always Time for Coffee. I started to unbuckle, but Luke stopped me, putting his hand over mine.

  “I’ll get your door. 

  I groaned inwardly. So he was one of those guys. This was going to be a long day.

  He opened my door, holding his hand out for me. I grabbed his warm palm, letting him pull me out of the car. I rushed up to the window and smiled when I saw that the shop was mostly empty except for two old women sitting at a booth in the back corner.

  “Shall we?” Luke asked, holding his arm out to me. At first I didn’t know what to do, but then he wrapped his arm around mine, and we walked into the shop, the bell jingling above us.

  I felt the warm aroma of coffee tickle my nose and I smiled.

  I walked up to the counter, lightly dinging the little bell on the counter.

  “I’ll be out with you in just a minute!” I heard my mom call from the back.

  I chuckled.

  “No rush.”

  My mother stepped out, wiping her hands on her apron.

  “I’m sorry… Oh hello,” She looked next to me, taking Luke in.

  “Hi mom,” I said, sending her a grin.

  I heard Luke chuckle beside me.

  “No wonder the name Always Time for Coffee sounded familiar. 

  I noticed our arms were still linked, and I carefully pulled mine away. Luke stepped back a ways, giving me enough personal space. I turned back to my mom.

  “I would like a latte please,” I said, stepping back so that Luke could also order.

  “I would like the same please.”

  My mom smiled, nodding.

  “It will be right out.”

  I walked over to a small two person booth, sliding into the side closest to the counter.

  Luke took the opposite side.

  My mom came out five minutes later, carrying two lattes.

  Luke thanked her, handing her a twenty dollar bill.

  “Your total only comes to seven dollars.”

  Luke smiled, pushing the twenty into her palm.

  “I know. Please keep the extra.”

  My mom blushed, smiling.

  “Thank you.”

  “So this is a week thing?” I asked, feeling shock run over me. This wasn’t a day date. This could last a week.

  “It could even be a month. It will depend.”

  I groaned, placing my forehead in my open palm.

  “Is there something wrong with that?”