Chapter 21- Soap Operas for a Girl's Soul

I pull my jacket around me, noticing the bite in the early fall air. I feel like the cold shouldn't come until winter, but I can't complain too much. I love fall, and working at a coffee shop during fall is the best. Pumpkin becomes a main ingredient, and things like cinnamon and other spices become popular, having been forgotten during summer.

I haven't seen Luke since he, Ashley and I stopped by the shop, and that was three days ago. Ever since Luke and I met, we have seen each other every day, never missing a single one. I see a bench sitting under and old maple tree, and I walk to it, having to push aside some fallen leaves before I sit down. I pull out my cell, finding Luke's contact. I send him a quick text, asking him if he's up for a latte from Always Time for Coffee.

When my phone buzzes, I smile. Then read the text, and my easy smile falters.

I'd love to, but I'm at my aunt's... Can I get a rain check? <3 Luke

It's okay. And yea, a rain check is fine. Ttyl ~ Mel

Hey, um I have a quick question... <3 Luke

Okay... Shoot ~ Mel

My aunt wants to know if you'd join us for dinner at her place tonight. I can send you the directions... unless you're busy <3 Luke

I'd be honored. R u asking me on a date Luke Green? ~ Mel

It took a minute for a response, and I was worried that he hadn't thought of what I said as a joke. Maybe he took me seriously.

Absolutely ;) You better be here soon. My aunt is trying to get me to watch one of her sappy soap operas again. And guess what? It was an all-day marathon today... Lucky me <3 Luke

If you send those directions I'll hop in my car and head over right now. I just need to call my mom quick. ~ Mel

Okay :D it's 1801 South Park Drive, just past that crooked stop sign. Dinner starts at 6. Be there or be square. Cuz you're not a-round. <3 Luke

U r a major dork ~ Mel

You love me <3 Luke

You wish! Cya soon ~ Mel

I dial my Mom's number, asking quickly asking her if she's okay with me going to Luke's aunt's house. She tells me it's no problem, and to have fun. I push my phone into my back pocket, and grab my keys from my purse.

South Park Drive isn't far from here, being only a five minute drive. It is also close to the beach, which is most likely why Luke's aunt ran into us at the beach in the first place. I pull up to a normal size house with a white picket fence out front. I quickly check to make sure I have the correct address, then hop out of the car. I check my reflection in the rearview mirror, and saunter up to the steps. The door opens before I even have the chance to knock, and Luke's aunt stands in the doorway.

"Oh hello, my dear, I'm so glad you could make it!" She says, pulling me in for a bear hug. I give her a small squeeze back, and laugh when I see Luke's head pop around the corner.

"Oh gee, Aunt Peggy, I thought we agreed I would get to greet Mel," I know he's joking though, so I decide to play along. I ignore him, and instantly dive into a conversation with Peggy about her soap operas. The woman sure is passionate about her soaps. She tells me all about her favorite couples, her favorite season. She even gets into detail about the plot.

"I've heard such great things," I say, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Oh yes," Peggy says, gushing slightly. "Luke says 'they're the bee's knees'."

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and jump, but soon realize it's just Luke.

"Ignoring me, huh?" He asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

I giggle, then turn back to Peggy to discuss even more about her soaps. She tells me about her favorite characters, her favorite episodes, and her favorite seasons. Soon I'm lifted off my feet, and I scream, not noticing what's going on until my feet are off the ground.

"You can't just ignore Luke Green," Luke says in my ear, and I chuckle, wrapping my arms around his neck. Peggy follows closely behind, and we all end up in the dining room. The smell of grilled meat makes my stomach grumble, and I blush.

"You and food," Luke mumbles under his breath. Peggy swats his arm, and pulls out a chair for Luke to set me in. He lets me down easy, and then takes a seat next to me.

"Dinner looks delish," I say.

"Would you mind passing me the rolls?" Luke asks, pointing to a basket just to the left of me. I nod, passing it to him, followed by a tub of butter.

"So where do you work?" Peggy asks, taking a piece of meat for herself, placing it on her plate.

"I work at Always Time for Coffee in town," I say.

"Ah, yes. I've been there a few times. I'm not much of a coffee person, but I do enjoy their hot chocolate."

Luke grins, nodding his head.

"The hot chocolate is definitely my favorite," He agrees.

I pull a slab of meat off of the platter when Luke hands it to me, then lay it on my plate. Peggy made ham, baked potatoes and rolls, and by the time we are done eating, moving sounds impossible.

"I might need a wheelchair," I admit, when Luke offers me his hand.

Luke bends down, picking me up again. I almost harp on him about it, ready to complain that I don't need his help, when I remember my plan. Be nice, and be a good, supportive friend.

Luke takes me out to Peggy's couch, and after setting me down takes a seat next to me.

"What's on TV?" I ask, and he rolls his eyes.

"Oh stop," He says. "I'm going to make you sit through at least three episodes of this before you leave."

After episode one, here's what I've gathered. Katherine, the main character, is pregnant. Her husband is fighting over seas, and won't be back in time to see his son brought into the world. They already have twin daughters, one of which has autism. Katherine's mother is diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer. Her father died four years ago. Seems depressing, but not as dramatic as one would expect from a soap opera. That's when Luke decides to continue.

Katherine is seen in her hospital room, holding her baby. Then it turns out her doctor is her long lost boyfriend who she had heard moved off years before to be with his dream girl. Katherine and her daughters get trapped in the hospital elevators. And Katherine soon learns her husband passed away during active duty.

I sigh, resting my head against Luke's shoulder. He's right. These are poorly acted, there are too many plot holes, and some of the plot is just too weird.

"Can we save the third episode for another time?" I beg. "I think I'm Poor Judgement-ed out."

Luke laughs, and turns off the TV.

"Sure," He says, then adds mockingly, "Anything for you."