Chapter 13- It's None of My Buisness!

I huff out a breath when I hear a knock on my door.

  “It doesn’t take a half hour to go to the cafeteria!” I say, slightly annoyed. By now, I have a pretty solid list of possible middle names.

  “I didn’t go to the Cafeteria,” My dad says as he walks into the room.

  “I’m sorry,” I say, a little embarrassed. “I thought you were-”

  “You thought I was Luke,” Dad says. I cringe hearing Luke’s name come out of my dad’s mouth. It sounds like a poison that he is trying to get out of his mouth as fast as he can.

   “Honey… I don’t feel right about you two quote on quote dating. I just saw him in the cafeteria… He was with this girl,” Dad stops like he doesn’t want to go on.

  “Dad. He and I aren’t really dating. So if he was eating lunch with another girl… that’s his business,” I say matter-of-factly.

  “But Hun… I saw him kiss her.”

  When Luke comes back it’s nearly seven, and I’m packing up the few things that my mom and dad brought to the hospital.

  “Sorry I was gone so long,” Luke says, reaching to help me pack.

  “It’s ok,” I say, tugging my bag towards me.

  I feel Luke’s hand on my shoulder.

  “What’s wrong?” He asks, his voice low and soft, almost like he genuinely cares about my answer.

  “Nothing’s wrong except that I got a lecture from my dad. He’s relentless as I’m sure you know,” I say trying to be funny.

  Luke makes me face him.

  “What else did he say?” He asks.

  “Just that he saw you in the cafeteria,” I say nonchalantly.

  “He saw me with Clarissa didn’t he?” Luke asks, his eyebrows raised.

  I nod, pulling out of his grip.

  “But that bothers me a whole lot less than it bothered him,” I say. “You and I aren’t really dating so if you already have a girlfriend then that’s really not his business nor is it mine.”

  Luke runs his hands through his hair, looking deep in thought.

  I turn away, reaching for my bag. It really is none of my business. Why doesn’t anyone get that?

  “I broke up with her,” Luke says finally. 

  I spin around, shocked by his response.

  “Oh please tell me you’re kidding!” I say, shaking my head.

  “I didn’t feel right dating her and dating you at the same time. That just wasn’t okay with me,” He says, crossing his arms over his chest.

  “But… She is- er… was your real girlfriend. That means if you should have broken up with anyone, it should have been me,” I say, suddenly frustrated with him.

  “Yeah, well she and I have been debating breaking up for the last couple of months anyway. I figured now was as good a time as any,” Luke says chuckling. I feel the need to smack him for thinking it is okay to joke around at a time like this.

  “Like I’ve said a million time, it is none of my business,” I repeat for the millionth time.

  Luke wraps an arm around my back.

  “But see… it is your business,” Luke says. “I want you to understand that your opinion matters greatly to me.”

  I swallow the lump forming in my throat.

  “I don’t know why it would, but I’m happy my opinion matters to at least one person.”

  “I’m sure it matters to more than one,” Luke counters.

  “I highly doubt it,” I say laughing.

  Luke frowns, and for the first time I wonder if I have been judging him wrong. Maybe Luke isn’t half as stuck up as I have come to believe. Maybe he just needs to get away from the celebrity life that consumes him. Maybe, and this is a big maybe, I can help give him that.