Chapter 14- A Prank That Beats All

I hear a knock on my bedroom door, and I run over to it, hoping that it might be Ashley. I called her an hour ago, and she hasn’t shown up yet.

  But standing outside my door, arms crossed over his chest is none other than Luke.

  “I thought you were Ashley,” I say nonchalantly.

  Luke looks down at his shirt then his pants.

  “What? Did I grab my sister’s clothes?” Luke asks grinning.

  “Ha ha, very funny,” I say, although this time I try for less sarcasm. A thought occurs to me. To be a friend to someone, you need to know the said person better. I barely know Luke, even though we’ve been hanging out for about a week. I’ll give this friend thing a try.

  “I didn’t know you had a sister,” I say, going to sit back down on my bed.

  “Mhm,” Luke says, staring at the pictures and posters splattered on my walls. I have a huge room, which sometimes gets annoying, but it does mean more wall space.

  “How come you’ve never talked about her?” I ask, hoping I’m not sounding nosey.

  “I don’t know. She and I aren’t quite as close as we used to be,” Luke says, turning to face me. “I’m almost more close to you than I am to her.”

  “Is she older?” I ask, hoping to ease the tension building up.

  “Yeah,” Luke pouts. “But only by two years. Right now she’s sitting pretty in college, while I have to wait till this fall.”

  I hadn’t even thought of that. Luke is going to college? It is almost laughable.

  “So are you actually going to learn or just going because you can afford to go?”

  Luke takes a seat in my lavender colored desk chair, spinning around once before answering.

  “I want to major in art. My manager says that I shouldn’t, that I should focus on acting, but I really want to draw and paint. It’s what I love. I mean acting is great, but I don’t think I’ll stick with it for forever.”

  I’m taken aback by how serious Luke seems to be on the matter.

  “You probably think that’s stupid too,” He says, taking my silence the wrong way.

  “No!” I say. “I think that you should pursue art. You’re very talented and you shouldn’t let that go to waste. 

  Another knock rattles my door, and I get up, giving Luke a warning look.

  “Ashley,” I mouth, and Luke groans.

  I open the door just a crack.

  “Hey!” Ashley says.

  “Hi,” I say, smiling. “Look I have a guest right now, maybe now isn’t the best time?”

  Ashley pushes past me.

  “You think you can hide Luke from me?” She asks. ”I mean, duh Mel, his car was out front.”

  Luke looks like a dog that is being dragged into the vet’s office. Absolutely terrified.   

  “Play nice, Luke,” I say and he sends me a glare. 

  “So what did you want to talk about?” Ashley asks, coming to sit next to me on my bed, seemingly for the most part, ignoring Luke. 

  My eyes travel to Luke. I can’t really talk about him in front of him. . 

  Luke must understand, because he sends me a grin. The minute he opens his mouth I already know what’s coming.

  “Oh I’m sure she just wanted to tell you about our smashing date,” Smashing? Who on this earth says smashing? “Or maybe about dinner last night. Or… Oh! Maybe that argument.”

  I could hurt him right now. He wants me to talk about his ex-girlfriend? Oh no! I’m not going to play that game. I’m going to make my own rules.

  “Actually, Ash, I was hoping for some advice. Remember my last boyfriend Brad?” She knows I’m making this up.

  “Of course I do,” She says, and I barely stop myself from throwing my arms around her, thankful she is playing along.

  “Well he called me last night. He wants to have dinner sometime. What do you think?” I ask Ashley.

  “Well,” Luke says, speaking up. “I think you and I should go out to dinner tonight.”

  I suppress my giggles, looking to Ashley.

  “Well, I was actually considering going out with him tomorrow night,” I lie, hoping that I can keep the act up long enough to satisfy my pranking mood.

  “I think that would be smashing,” Ashley says, and I am instantly reminded why she is my closest friend.