Chapter 8- Dinner for Two

“Mom!” I shouted, tying my apron for the fiftieth time.

  Mom’s brown hair appeared in the doorway first, soon followed by her bright face.

  “Tell this dummy to leave me alone, I have work to do,” I exclaimed, grabbing Luke’s hand before he could reach the strings on my apron. Again. For the past half hour we had been playing a not so fun game of “Annoy Melissa”. Luke had been winning, trying to get me to leave the shop, pulling on my apron.

  “He already asked me if you two could go out today, and I agreed. Go,” Mom said, emphasizing ‘go’.

  “But mom!” I whined.

  “Go, now, Melissa,” Mom said, her hands balancing on her hips.

  I sighed.

  The one day I wanted to work, and mom wouldn’t let me.

  “Fine,” I said, watching as laughter brightened Luke’s eyes.

  The minute my apron was off, Luke started pulling me out the back door.

  “What the heck,” I said giggling as he started spinning around and around, taking me with him.

  By the time he stopped I was super dizzy, and the world was tilting all around me. Luke had to steady me.

  Luke grabbed my hand, pulling me to his car. Sitting on the seat was a bouquet of roses, with some Queen Anne’s lace thrown in here and there. I gasped when I saw it. 

  Luke opened my door and motioned towards the bouquet.

  “I hope roses are okay,” He said, winking.

  I nodded enthusiastically, picking the flowers up, setting them in my lap as I sat down.

  Luke jumped into the driver’s seat, and brought the car to life, the engine roaring.

  “Where do you want to go?” He asked me, putting his hands on the steering wheel.

  I laugh.

  “Well where I want to go is too far from here,” I said smiling.

  Luke grinned.

  “Tell that to my car. Seriously. Where do you want to go?”

  I sighed.

  “There’s this amazing restaurant about an hour’s drive from here. They serve the best seafood this side of the state, and it is super fancy. And expensive,” I add in lamely.

  Luke noddded.

  “I’ve heard of that place I think. Truman’s Sea Cuisine right?” He asked.

  I nodded.

  “Yes. But it’s super expensive, let’s just hit McDonald’s or something,” I said, pointing to the McDonald’s just down the road.

  Luke started to pull out of the parking lot, but turned left instead of right. Left instead of McDonald’s.

  “I already told you. Money isn’t an issue. If you want to go to Truman’s, then we are going to Truman’s,” Luke said defiantly.

  I sucked in a long breath, pretending to be angry, but I couldn’t pretend to be angry when I was flat out excited. Truman’s was the place to go. Dad had always told me he’d take me there eventually, be he hasn’t.

  The drive to Truman’s was full of obnoxious music that Luke actually seemed to enjoy, and bright city lights.

  “So do you think your dad is going to kill me for this?” Luke asked grinning, having to raise his voice to be heard over the annoying music.

  I shrugged.

  “You might get away with a minor injury, but that all depends on how you run,” I said mockingly.

  Luke eased up on the gas, turning towards a large building marked Truman’s Seafood Cuisine: Home of the Best Seafood.

   “Guys gotta love a girl with dry humor,” Luke said, twisting his head around, looking for a good parking place.

  “How about there?” I said pointing to a spot next to a big SUV.

  Luke took my advice and pulled into the parking spot, carefully.

  Luke hopped out of the car, grabbing my door for me. I sighed.

  “When are you going to let me get out of the car on my own?” I asked smirking. “I’ve been able to since I was about three.”

  Luke just grinned.

  “I’ll let you get out of the car on your own when I’m long gone,” He said, his smile turning into a straight line.

  I let him escort me up until we reached the entrance of Truman’s, then I pulled my arm free. I heard a gasp from behind me, and saw Luke staring at a poster plastered on the information wall.

  Know anything about Luke Green’s new girl? Call 555-3020 with any information and be entered in a chance to win $500 cash!

  “I really can’t go anywhere!” Luke mumbled harshly under his breath.

  I took Luke’s hand.

  “Let’s just go and enjoy some nice fish and shrimp. Okay?”

  Luke nodded, squeezing my hand as we walked further into Truman’s.