The consequences

In the middle of the clearing stood a giant tree. It wasn't the tree that horrified him though. It was from what the tree grew from, that scared him.

Laying on the ground was his brother.

The tree was growing out of his chest.

As Red grew closer more and more horrifying details revealed themselves.

Bits of his rib cage could be seen poking out of the tree bark. His legs had been shattered and thousands of holes could be seen in them, his legs now served as something for vines and bugs to grow and crawl on. His arms had been restrained with rope and one had been broken off, it grew out of the tree like some kind of sick branch. The other one had been twisted around to face the wrong way. Flowers grew out of the grown and through his mouth like a gag. A spider had made its home in one of his eye sockets.

"Do you like it, love?"

Red spun around, prepared to see one of the fair folk, instead he was met with Sans.

"Sans! Oh thank god you're ok! We need to get out of here!" Rad ran to him and wrapped his arms around him.

"We will, we will. But first, I want you to answer my question." Sans wrapped his arms around Red and tucked Red's head under his.

"Wh-What question?"

"I asked you if you liked it."

"What?"

"The tree, your brother, all of it."

Red felt like ice had just been dumped on him.

"I did it all for you," Sans continued. "He'll never hurt you, never yell at you, he'll never upset you again."

"What did you do," Red whispered.

"Oh, dear. I did what was best for you! And now that you're here so we can stay together! I'll never leave you. Never. We can start a family, I'll shower you with gifts everyday, you'll get to eat the most delicious stuff, you'll never be cold or lonely, and we'll be together. Just me and you, forever."

Red finally connected the dots.

The way he was in the woods when they first met. The fact that Sans had never said thank you. How beautiful the food looked and how flavorful it was. Giving him a gift without any real reason. The way the sheep never came near him.

Sans was a fairy.

No.

The fairy were kind, playful sure, but kind.

Faerie. That's what Sans was.

Red realized something else, he had broken all the rules.

He told Sans his name. He had said thank you. He had eaten food from the fay wilds. He didn't keep his word to meet with Sans every day. He accepted a gift from Sans. He gave cheap clothing. By agreeing to come to the festival he had repaid more than he took. He danced with Sans. He left the path.

Red had broken every rule meant to protect from the fey.

"I see you finally realized what i am, but don't worry my sweet little snake. I'll never hurt you."

"Sans. Let me go."

"I can't do that, the moment i do you're gonna run and if you run i'll have to hurt you. Besides, I don't want to. I've been patient, so very patient, and I want my reward."

"I won't run, I swear it. I'll give you whatever you want, just let me go, please."

"That's the problem you see. If I let you go you will run, there's no doubt. You wont give me what i want because i want you ."