"We Used To Be So Close"

A.N. Okay, so this is a little thought I had.

A little bit of context before we get into this one-shot, I just realized that Camilo and Mirabel are both 15, meaning they were supposed to get their gifts the same year. Obviously, Camilo did and Mirabel did not. So, Mirabel was probably really excited seeing Camilo's gift ceremony and probably thought, "oh, yay! I'm next! That's gonna happen to me!" And then it didn't. So I feel like that could've caused some sort of rift in their relationship, considering Camilo is the only family member Mirabel doesn't have a real full-on conversation with in the movie.

Synopsis: Camilo and Mirabel used to be so close before Mirabel didn't get her gift. What's that about? Camilo doesn't know what happened to them, but he does know that he wants to patch things up with his cousin.

Note: Italics are flashbacks.
———————————————————————

            A five-year-old Camilo Madrigal stood in front of his door. He was about to get his gift. He looked over at his slightly younger cousin, Mirabel. She gave him a supporting nod and a thumbs up, encouraging him. He took a deep breath in and placed his hand on the door knob. The door started glowing and he watched with wonder. He looked over at Mirabel again, both five-year-olds smiling widely. Camilo looked back at the door as a picture appeared and his name appeared on the top of the door.

            He smiled and he felt weird as something happened. He looked down at himself and noticed that he was no longer himself. His gift was shapeshifting. He shifted back into himself, smiling brightly.

            "We have a new gift!" His abuela announced to the crowd.

            He entered his room and looked around. He looked at his mother, father, and sister, who were all smiling at him and cheering for him. His mother went to hug him.

            Camilo looked back at Mirabel, who gave him a thumbs up and smiled at him. He smiled back at his cousin.

            Camilo sat in his room, thinking about when he got his gift. That was only a few weeks before Mirabel's failed gift ceremony.

            "Camilo! Time for breakfast!" Pepa knocked on her son's door.

            "Coming, Mamá!" Camilo answered, snapping out of his thoughts. He got up and walked out of his room and to the table where the rest of his family was.

            A few hours before Camilo got his gift, Mirabel and Camilo sat in the nursery. Camilo was nervous.

            "What if nobody likes my gift?! What if I get cast out from the family for it?!" Camilo kept asking these "what if" questions nervously.

            "Camilo, you'll be fine! You are amazing and I know that your gift will be just as amazing and special as you are!" Mirabel encouraged her cousin.

            "You think so?" Camilo asked.

            "I know so!" Mirabel said assuringly.

            Camilo smiled at his cousin, "thanks, Mirabel."

            Camilo snapped back to reality and looked over at Mirabel, who was smiling and talking to Isabela. He knew he and Mirabel hadn't really talked much since the incident with Mirabel's gift ceremony.

            Just before Mirabel's gift ceremony, Camilo went to the nursery to give Mirabel some words of encouragement, similar to the way she did for him a few weeks prior when he had gotten his gift.