"I'm Sorry I'm Not Worthy"

A.N. So this is an idea I had regarding the "What Else Can I Do" scene in the movie. This starts near the middle of that scene, but the cactus grows earlier in the one-shot than it does in the movie.

Synopsis: Mirabel just snaps. I have no idea how else to describe this one-shot.

———————————————————————

"Apologize for ruining my life!" Isabela screamed at her youngest sister. She looked down at the floor just in time to see a cactus sprout from it. Isabela barely got time to acknowledge the cactus before her sister started speaking.

"I'm sorry..." Mirabel said. It sounded like a genuine apology, which took Isabela by surprise.

"That's it? I thought there'd be more..." Isabela said.

"What do you want me to say? I'm sorry that I'm not as pretty as you are? I'm sorry that I'm not as perfect as you are? I'm sorry that I will never be anything like you?" Mirabel was starting to raise her voice a bit now as she continued to speak. "I'm sorry that I let you down?! I'm sorry that I'm a terrible sister?! I'm sorry that I ruined everything for you and everyone else?! I'm sorry that I'm trying to fix it, but I only make things worse?! I'm sorry that I didn't get a gift?! I'm sorry that I try too hard to prove myself to this family?! I'm sorry that I'm not worthy of being a Madrigal?! Is that what you want to hear?! Because I'm sorry, okay?! I'm so, so... sorry..."

Isabela was shocked as she watched her little sister sink down to the floor, sobbing into her hands. Isabela felt terrible. She never knew her sister felt this way. Mirabel did nothing wrong, and Isabela knew that. She just didn't know what to do in this situation.

Isabela stood there, watching her little sister cry on the flowery floor. She couldn't just stand there and watch her sister cry anymore. She slowly approached her sister. "Mirabel..."

Mirabel didn't say anything and continued to cry into her hands. Isabela crouched down next to her and sat on her knees and pulled her sister into a tight hug.

"You have nothing to apologize for... I was wrong... You never did anything wrong..." Isabela said whilst hugging her youngest sister.

Mirabel continued to cry and pulled away from the hug and distanced herself slightly from her sister. This broke Isabela's heart, to see her sister just pull away from her.

Isabela felt like crying as well, but she held in her tears as she said, "Mira... hermanita..."

Mirabel cut her off, saying to her, barely audible, "I looked up to you... I always have... I wanted to be you... but... now I see that I will never be like you... You're perfect... and I'm... nothing..."

Isabela never knew how much her sister looked up to her and to hear it said made her heart break even more. She didn't know what to say.

"Mirabel, I'm so sorry..." Isabela started.

Mirabel cut her off again, "why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong... You never do..."

Isabela continued, answering Mirabel's question, "I'm sorry that I haven't been there for you. I'm sorry that I've been the worst sister ever. I'm sorry that you always felt the need to prove yourself to the family. I'm sorry that you looked up to me. I'm sorry that I let you down..."

Mirabel looked back at her sister slightly.

"You are worthy of being in this family. More than worthy, in fact. You are amazing, Mirabel Madrigal. And I'm sorry that no one tells you that enough." Isabela finished.

Mirabel looked skeptical, as if she didn't believe that those words just came out of her oldest sister's mouth.

"You have nothing to prove to this family, Mirabel. Anyone can see just how amazing you are. I'm just sorry that no one ever tells you." Isabela paused. "I'm proud of you, Mirabel."

"What...?" Mirabel asked, turning back to her sister, confused.

"I always have been. You never cease to amaze me. Despite not getting a gift, you still try your best to help out. I'll tell you that you did more for the family than I ever did. All I ever did was grow bouquets of roses." Isabela laughed lightly, earning a small chuckle from Mirabel as well.

"Can I let you in on a little secret?" Isabela continued. Mirabel nodded. Isabela got closer to her sister and whispered to her, as if there were other people in the room whom she didn't want hearing this, "I hate being perfect."

She backed up again as Mirabel looked at her with a shocked expression, "you do?"

"Oh, absolutely. If I mess up anything, then Abuela yells at me. But I hate being perfect! I hate it so much! I'm so sick of pretty!" Isabela said, frustrated.

"Oh... I guess you just always seemed so happy and perfect... that I never stopped to consider that maybe you weren't really happy..." Mirabel realized.

Mirabel still had herself distanced from Isabela as Isabela continued speaking, "it just gets exhausting. I wish I didn't have to be so perfect to impress Abuela."

Mirabel moved closer to her sister finally and put her hand on her shoulder, much to Isabela's surprise. "Maybe... you don't. I know it sounds crazy, but... why don't you just try being your own person? Be who you want to be. Not who other people want you to be."

"You really think so?" Isabela asked.

Mirabel nodded. "Sí. This whole "perfect princess" bit isn't you. I realize that now. I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner."

Isabela was taken aback by her sister's sudden kindness. "No, I'm the one who should be sorry. I got so caught up in being perfect that I completely ignored the fact that you are my little sister and I'm always supposed to be there for you. And I wasn't." Isabela looked down at the flowery floor, away from her little sister.

Mirabel did the only thing she could think to do and hugged Isabela tightly, burying her head into her chest. This took Isabela by surprise, but she hugged back.

"I love you, hermana..." Mirabel said quietly.

Isabela smiled down at her little sister warmly as they hugged. "I love you too, hermanita..."

—————————————————————————

A.N. Wow, how many times did they say "sorry" in this?! Wait! Hold on!

"Sorry" counter: 23

Okay, I hope you enjoyed!

¡Adiós!