chapter 1: a trip to encanto

"Ohhhh, so you're telling me you're into grandfathers?"

You quickly whip your head from your phone to your friend. As your phone kept buzzing, both of you stared at each other for a while.

"Are you hearing what you're saying right now?" You asked while she just shrugged.

You went back to your phone, opening it with your face id. You were bombarded with Vince's text messages. You messaged him back a little too– like how Lia, your friend, would describe it, disgustingly lovesick. She swore, it almost looked like you had hearts on your eyes. She sighed and just let you do your thing.

A few minutes later, she heard a phone click. She was about to say something but you cut her off.

"Look, just because he's like uhh.. 4 years older doesn't mean I'm into anyone else older than him!" You explained,

"That also doesn't mean I'm into grandfathers!" You screamed, playfully shoving her on her bed.

"Alright! Whatever you say" She chuckled and sat back up. You sighed and laid your head on her lap. Ever since your boyfriend of 3 years broke up with you during your 18th birthday, which was months ago, you were devastated– and because of that you've sworn you'll never date anyone your age or anyone younger at all. They are all just a bunch of immature losers anyway.

You thought that dating guys who are a little bit older than you is better because they have more experience than you and would treat you a lot nicer.

"Just don't go crying to me again when he breaks your heart" Lia said, gently combing your hair. You rolled your eyes and laid on your side.

"I won't.. plus I won't take this as seriously as before. I guess .." You didn't want to waste your time, energy and effort like how you did during your previous relationship. You didn't even know why you stayed since he was showing so many red flags. Maybe you just wanted some validation, but you'll never admit that.

Lia hummed while you tried your best not to cry. She noticed your eyes water and immediately cupped your cheeks.

"Hey, hey.. you were just gushing over that Vince guy earlier and now your eyes are watering, is something wrong?" Worry and concern plastered on her face. You shook your head and smiled at her.

"You're just the bestest friend I could ever wish for" You told her, softly chuckling. Her cheeks reddened and she pinched your cheeks, earning a whine from you.

"Since I'm the bestest friend you could ever wish for, you don't mind me tagging you along on my trip back to Encanto don't you?" She grinned. Trip to what?

"What? What's an Encanto? I've never heard of it"

"It's a rural area where mi mami and papi came from! We'll just visit our relatives there and since I know you'll miss me, why don't I just tag you along? I'm pretty sure your mom won't mind, she's barely home anyway" She explained, slightly mumbling at the end.

Lia was right though, you've never really had a close relationship with your mother. She was always working, you didn't even remember the last time you ate together. You were always at Lia's home, closer to her family than to your own mother.

"So, what do you say amiga?"

A trip to Encanto huh? Sounds fun! You've never been in this place, it could change your life or something.

"I'll come!" You replied and she clapped from excitement.

"Great! Let's go home together after our last day in university!"

———

Come on, tick faster! You mentally screamed as you can't take anymore of your professor's boring voice. You were pretty excited about this Encanto trip as you already have everything packed inside your bag beside you.