chapter 3: the madrigal family

Your eyes fluttered open, vision still adjusting. Slowly pulling the blanket that was covering your body up to your shoulders. You then shifted your position to lay on your side. A face greeted you.

Hm? Black hair.. curly.. doe eyes.. I knew that was all just a weird nightmare. I feel quite better now too, just a little tired.. You sleepily thought, eyes still half open.

"Lia.. why are you wearing glasses?" You asked, slowly drifting back to sleep. The person tilted their head a bit and quirked their eyebrows.

"Lia? Who's Lia?" The voice made you open your eyes. That wasn't Lia's voice. You sat up and quickly rubbed your eyes. Your eyes met with a girl who's wearing a white blouse and a turquoise skirt. Her outfit is very pretty, there's a lot of embroidery on it.

"Uhh, hey?" She said as you sat and back away slowly, clenching on the blanket.

"I'm still having a nightmare am I"

She chuckled and sat beside you, the bed slightly bouncing from the pressure. "Hey don't be like that! Come on, I'll help you get ready, we'll have dinner in 30 minutes!" She then got back up and turned to you.

"By the way I'm Mirabel!" She introduced herself and reached her hand out for you to grab. You bit your lip and eyed the hand in front of you.

Slowly, you shook it. She smiled and quickly pulled you out of the bed. You shrieked, composing yourself to stand up.

"Alright, I'll get you a shirt since the top you're wearing right now is kinda stained with blood from your injury"

"Wait here"

Her hand then left yours and proceeded to go to one of her drawers. You stood there awkwardly, waiting for her to finish. You touched your head, where the bleeding was, and it wasn't hurting anymore.

"Ok here! Wear this and let's remove the bandage on your head" She came closer and gave you a plain blue t-shirt. You motioned your hand for her to turn around. She just stood there at first but completely got the message and mouthed an 'ohhh'.

Once she turned around, you took your top off and wore the shirt Mirabel gave you.

"I'm done" You told her, making her turn back to you. She pointed at the bandages wrapped around your head and asked, "Do you want me to help you get rid of those?"

You shook your head, "It's okay I can do it myself"

Mirabel nodded and sat on the bed. You started unwrapping the bandages, "Do you have a mirror Mirabel?"

She nodded and used her lips to point at the mirror beside her closet. You went to it and continued to remove the bandages. While doing so, your eyes wandered on the sides of the mirror. It had lots of quirky accessories and pictures of Mirabel and other people you don't know.

Your eyes caught a small one, a picture containing 12 people in it. Your face got closer to it, trying to have a closer look. Mirabel noticed and went up to you.

"That's my family! OH! I should probably tell you about them because you're going to meet them at dinner!"

You looked at her with horror while she went to the bedside table and grabbed a picture frame on it. Meet who now at dinner? THESE PEOPLE ON THE PICTURE, I have to meet more people?!

"Here! A bigger picture so you can see them better" She showed you a picture frame with a photograph of the same people, just in a different setting.

Why is there a damn jaguar in the picture ?! You thought, grabbing the picture frame from her and squinted at the animal beside a literal child that's hugging it.