Five: Not Useful Anymore Anyway

Hinata tapped his pen against the desk absentmindedly. Staring out the window, he watched the falling cherry blossoms.

He was very bored.

When the bell rang for the dismissal of school, he slowly got up and grabbed his bag. He had to make a couple swipes though because

He couldn't feel with his hands.

Hinata finally took his bag and then walked slowly out of his classroom. He then closed the door gently.

And walked into someone.

He stumbled back. "Sorry," he said quietly.

"Hinata."

Hinata stiffened at the voice. He lifted his head hesitantly. "K-Kageyama..."

The tall black haired boy stared down at the ginger boy. "Hinata, are you coming to practice?" he asked.

Hinata averted his eyes. "I have something to do. I can't," he lied.

Kageyama frowned. "Really?"

"Y-Yes."

He sighed. "What about tomorrow?"

"I-I have something to do tomorrow too."

"And the day after that?"

"I-I don't know..."

Kageyama slammed a hand into the door, pinning Hinata there by one side. "When are you going to be back?!" he yelled. Luckily, no one was in the hallways. "Why are you skipping?!"

Hinata began to tear up. "I-I..." he sniffled. "I..."

"Well?!"

"Kageyama!"

He turned around. "Captain.."

Daichi stood there, looking angry. "Kageyama, why are you yelling at Hinata? He's done nothing wrong."

Kageyama frowned. "But he's skipping! He's never done this before! He's turning into some wimpy coward! I hate it when he does things like this! It's so annoying and overly pathetic!"

"Kageyama!" Daichi snapped.

The setter stopped, his eyes wide with realization of what he just said.

Hinata felt a strange very harsh pain in his chest. "I... I have to go..." he said softly. "Goodbye." And with that, he ran off.

"Hinata!" Kageyama yelled.

<•><•><•>

Kenma patted Hinata's head. "You really can't feel with your hands anymore?" he asked.

Hinata sniffled. "Yes."

Kenma pushed a volleyball into his hands. "Can you feel this?" he asked.

"No," he sobbed.

Kenma frowned. "That's weird."

"It feels like I'm the only one," Hinata cried. "I'm the only one who has this. I can't hit, I can't pass, I can't set, I can't do anything anymore."

"I should quit," Kenma said. "Is that what you're thinking?"

Hinata nodded.

"Is that what you want?"

He shook his head. "No. Kageyama isn't making it better anyway. He keeps insulting me..." he sniffled and blew his nose. "He has no idea how much it hurts..."

"Is that what you want?" Kenma repeated.

"...

Yes.

It's not like I'm useful anymore anyway.

So there's no need for me to be on the team."