Twelve & A Half: Don't Give Up Part One

-

Kageyama glanced at the wheelchair by his hospital bed. He was alone in the hospital room, and now was the only time for him to relax. Visiting hours were about to begin in a few minutes, but at least Kageyama had those few minutes to himself.

His gaze swept down to his hands, which were limp on his lap. He tried moving at least one of his fingers, at least one, to see if he still had the slightest bit of control over the body below his neck part.

Nothing happened.

Kageyama took a deep breath, the oxygen mask making it sound louder than his usual breaths should've been. He took another, just in case.

But then, he couldn't anymore.

The tears that Kageyama had been holding in for the last two or three weeks came rushing out of his eyes in an uncontrollable waterfall. They slid down his cheeks, into his hair and onto the pillow on which his head. He sniffled and sobbed, crying his heart out.

Why?

Why him?

Why did he have to lose the ability to move? Volleyball was the one thing he loved in life, and that required movement of his body!

Wait.

Volleyball wasn't the only thing Kageyama loved in this life.

But Kageyama and his one-sided love would never work out.

After all, his love was the one who was the most active on the volleyball team.

If you were to combine an energetic, jumpy shrimp and an invalid...

See, things would not work out.

Hinata was now taller than him.

That was unacceptable.

Kageyama felt his wave of tears beginning to subside. Luckily, he hadn't cried enough to have snot dripping out of his nose, or else that would be ugly. Then he realized something.

He wasn't only upset that he had lost the ability to play volleyball.

He had even lost the ability to show Hinata how much he loved him.

Ever since day one, when Kageyama and Hinata played against each other in middle school, when Kageyama saw his jump, when Kageyama saw his conviction and determination...

Hinata had captivated him.

Hinata had filled his mind.

It was only Hinata after that. All Kageyama thought about was Hinata. It didn't matter that, at first, all Kageyama wanted to do was to play against him again. It didn't matter that, at first, all Kageyama did with him in Karasuno was fight with him. And it didn't matter that, at first, Kageyama didn't even know that he had feelings for the other.

But now it did.

But now it was gone.

He no longer had the control to show Hinata how much Kageyama loved him.

No more tears came out, except for one. It slid down Kageyama's cheek and landed softly in the pillow. Kageyama imagined it dissolving into the fabric of the cover, expanding just a little bit as it went.

Showing someone he loved them required movement of the body. Kageyama no longer had that.

He would never be able to play volleyball again.

He would never be able to set the ball for Hinata again.

Why was he still even alive? If he lost control over his body and everything and everyone he loved, then why wasn't he dead?

Fresh tears spilled out of his eyes and Kageyama opened his mouth in a silent scream, his eyesight blurring even more.

He shouldn't have been here.

He should've died when the car hit him.

He shouldn't have reached for the door of light.

Ironic, isn't it? Usually, you die when you head into the light. But this time, Kageyama had woken up from his coma.

He should've stayed sleeping.

He should've slept forever.

And never woken up.

Kageyama let some more tears fall out down his cheeks before he glanced towards the clock.

A minute before visiting hours started.

But sometimes, that just meant that visiting hours would start now. Hospitals sometimes weren't exactly punctual after all.

Kageyama stopped his tears, forcing the salty droplets back before they dripped out of his eyes, and let out a sigh of relief since he hadn't cried too hard. Since he hadn't cried too much, at much, if someone came right now, they would only be able to tell he was crying from the redness of his nose and the corners of his eyes.

And hopefully, they wouldn't be able to see it unless they looked at him closely.

The door suddenly slid open and Kageyama's gaze shot over to the door, his eyes wide with surprise. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, a bit disappointed that it wasn't the person he was wanting to see at the moment.

The person at the door grinned and came inside, closing the door after him. "Sorry it's me and not Hinata," he apologized. "But I just want to talk to you."

Kageyama frowned a little before letting a little smile grace his face. "Good morning, Sugawara-san," he said politely. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit to?"

Sugawara chuckled. "Drop the formal talk; it makes me uncomfortable," he said. "I'm not really sure what I have to talk to you about, but I do have something to give you."

It was then that Kageyama noticed the large bag hanging on his uoperclassman's shoulder. "What is that?" he asked curiously.

Sugawara's smile turned sad as he unzipped his volleyball bag and brought out a volleyball that was covered with words. Kageyama's chest stabbed with pain as he saw the volleyball.

Sugawara chuckled awkwardly as he came forward and placed the volleyball on Kageyama's lap. "Um, I don't really have anything to say that won't hurt you," he said. "But yeah. This is a gift from everyone on the volleyball team."

"Everyone?" Kageyama asked.

"Yeah."

Kageyama searched the words on the volleyball, only searching for the familiar print of a person's handwriting.

Sugawara came up and turned the ball over for him so he could read the other side, keeping silent.

Kageyama skimmed the notes written with black Sharpie, beginning to lose hope that his special someone had actually written on the ball.

Well, Kageyama had been very cruel to Hinata before his accident.

Kageyama finished skimming and was filled with a sense of disappointment and sadness. He hadn't seen the specific handwriting on there at all.

"Oh yeah, Hinata said he wrote something small," Sugawara added, pointing to a small note on the side.

Kageyama looked at the place where Sugawara's finger was pointing and his breath caught, his tears almost overflowing again.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Don't give up.

-

This is part one, stay tuned for part two!

Song: Against the Current - Gravity