Seven: A Blank Test

Hinata tried as hard as he could to focus on his test. But his pencil then snapped.

Again.

The teacher sighed and then walked over to Hinata's desk. "Hinata," she began. "Please stop."

Hinata nodded. "Y-Yes. I'll try."

"Good. Now finish up. There's only ten minutes left," the teacher said, looking at Hinata's blank test.

He nodded again and then the teacher went back and sat down.

It wasn't Hinata's fault. After what had happened yesterday, there was no way Hinata could concentrate.

~~The previous day~~

Kageyama sighed and then asked, "Why aren't you coming to practice anymore?"

Hinata averted his eyes. "Th-That's because..."

"You stupid idiot! Just get over whatever you're feeling and just come back to practice already!" He snapped. "Stop being a coward!"

Hinata sighed and looked up at him. "Is that why you came to talk to me? Just to say that?"

"Yes! No...!" His voice trailed off. "But just come back, the team needs you!"

"It makes no difference for the team whether I'm there or not."

"Without you," Kageyama began. His eyes were beginning to tear up and he didn't notice. "Without you, Hinata, no one else can hit my tosses at full power!" he cried. "Why?! Why aren't you coming back?!" Tears slid down his cheeks and Kageyama let go of Hinata to wipe them away. "Damn it!"

Hinata stared at Kageyama in shock.

He's...crying?!

"Without you..." Kageyama sniffled. "Without you... when I toss, I have the upperclassmen, but whenever I tossed where I thought was best, you were always there!"

Hinata began to tear up. "Kageyama..."

"I thought you'd always be there! For me! I thought we'd always be together!" Kageyama cried, wiping his eyes continuously.

"The truth is..." Kageyama sniffled again and wiped his eyes. "The truth is..."

Hinata felt his chest getting stabbed over and over again. "The truth is?" he pressed.

"I...ever since we met..."

"...yes...?"

"I liked you."

Hinata's jaw dropped. The king? Liked him? WHAT?!

Maybe it was just a friend type of love...he thought. "I-I like you too!" Hinata said, trying not to make it awkward between them. Because there was no way. There was no way that Kageyama liked him back. There was no way.

Kageyama shook his head. "No. Not like that. It's--" His black eyes looked behind Hinata and his eyes widened. "Shoot!"

Hinata turned around. "What?"

Oh.

Tsukishima.

But when Hinata had turned back to look at Kageyama...

he was already gone.

~~Present time~~

The bell rang and Hinata groaned, rubbing his head. "Okay, put your writing utensils and pass your papers up," the teacher said.

Hinata stared at his blank test. Reluctantly, he passed it up to the person in front of him. He would fail this class before he knew it.

The teacher collected the tests and with Hinata's luck, his paper was on the top. The teacher made eye contact with Hinata and she sighed just as the bell rang. "Okay, class dismissed. Hinata, come to the teacher's office after school, please. I need to talk to you."

Hinata gulped. "Yes," he answered timidly.

-

Hinata trudged past the gym, after he got scolded by the teacher. Luckily, the teacher was merciful and let Hinata take a retest.

A harder retest.

Hinata sighed again.

"H-Hinata..." a fearful voice from the gym called his name.

Hinata turned his ginger head. "What is it, Sugawara-san?" he asked as his upperclassman went up to him.

Sugawara's eyes were rimmed red. It looked as if he was crying. "K-Kageyama's..."

Hinata felt himself go cold. "What? What happened to Kageyama?" he asked frantically, grabbing Sugawara's shoulders.

In Sugawara's hand was his phone. Hinata glanced at it and his eyes widened in shock.

SUGA. KAGEYAMA'S BEEN HIT BY A CAR. I DON'T KNOW HIS CONDITION, BUT IT SEEMS PRETTY BAD, SO PLEASE TELL HINATA.

Hinata stepped back, his eyes blank.

Kageyama was...

hit by a car?