Chapter Three

Dipper knew she had missed quite a bit since she'd left Manhattan, but at this point it was hardly even funny.

"A baby?" she demanded. "You had a baby aft-ah I left?"

"He ain't jus a baby," her father reminded her pointedly. "He's also yer bruddah."

"And it's not like we never told you," her mother reasoned. "We were expecting when you left."

Dipper turned her shocked gaze onto her. "I wouldn't'a forgotten somethin' like dat, Mam!"

Her mother seemed to pause. "We may not have told you."

Dipper let out a long sigh, attempting to compose herself. "What d'ya say his name was again?"

"Coen," her father said. "He's about two, now."

She bristled. "Ya don't gotta keep remindin' me how long I've been gone."

He shrugged. "Jus makin' sure ya rememb-ah."

That had been the night before. She'd spent the entire night restless and ashamed, unable to fall asleep until the early hours of the morning. She'd missed out on the birth of her baby brother. She'd already missed out on far too much.

It'd only begun to dawn on her that she'd have to tell them the reason for her sudden disappearance when Monaro came crashing into her room, most likely bruising his knee in his hurry. "Albert's waitin' outside fa you."

She groaned, turning into her pillow. "You can't be serious."

"Why's he he-ah?"

"I dunno," she replied, finally sitting up. "Look, kid. How 'bout ya skedaddle so I can get changed?"

He didn't have to be told twice.

Eventually, Dipper dragged herself out of bed, wishing the day would've never arrived. She'd never been much of a morning person, especially not when there was a guy outside, waiting impatiently for her.

A good looking guy, a voice in her head whispered.

A good looking guy who definitely hated her, she reasoned in response.

Shaking that thought from her head, which was definitely true, she grabbed her newsie sack and made her way out of her room, not making eye contact with the mirror that watched her as she passed.

She didn't have time to deal with her reflection.

"Hey, Dad," she greeted groggily, still not fully awake. "Alright, nice seein' ya. Bye."

"Abby." He caught her by the arm before she was able to leave. "Wait. I jus wanna say something."

She bit her lip, turning back to him.

He sighed, scratching his jaw. "Somethin' tells me ya thinks wese mad at'cha or somethin', but we ain't. Alright? Nothin' you do could make us love ya any less. I jus hope ya know dat."

She smiled faintly at him, feeling as though an invisible weight had been lifted from her chest. "Thanks. Y'know, yer a pretty awesome dad."

He snorted, nudging her towards the door. "Go. Albert's waitin' fa you."

She nodded and went to the door, but hesitated before opening it.

"I don't think he bites."

"Ha, ha." She rolled her eyes. Not wanting anyone to become any more suspicious, she pulled the old, creaking thing open, stepping out to where Albert was standing.