Chapter Sixteen

Albert watched, stunned, as Dipper ran out of Amy's room. She seemed miserable, and Albert would've chased after her had Lane not stopped him.

"Give her a minute ta herself," Lane told him. "I think she's a little high strung wit everythin' dat went on between us."

Albert struggled to restrain himself from going after her anyway. "But ya said-"

"Don't let her go anywhere without ya, I know." She sighed. "Dat's part 'a tha problem."

He didn't bother asking. "What if she goes back ta William?"

"She ain't a kid," Lane replied sadly. "We jus have ta hope dat she knows how ta watch out fa herself."

"But she don't."

She just shook her head, heading over to the door.

"Where's you goin'?" he demanded. "You jus finished tellin' me dat she don't need anyone dere wit her."

"Ise goin' ta work." She yanked the door open. "You should be goin', too."

"I..." He didn't want to leave. He was afraid Dipper would come looking for him, and he wouldn't be there.

"She'll be okay," Lane reassured, reading his mind. And then she turned and left.

"You ain't gonna go work," Race predicted.

He turned towards the boy. "I will."

"Yeah, 'n Finch loves Brooklyn."

Albert didn't respond. Race sighed and slung an arm around his shoulders, walking with him. "Albo, look. You may have fallen in love before. Heck, maybe it was even last month. But I think we can all see dat yer Little Dipper is different."

"She ain't my goil," Albert said stiffly.

Race snorted. "Anyway, maybe you should jus consider... maybe she's happy wit William."

Albert gawked at him "She's miserable wit him!" he exclaimed.

"Is she?" Race was silent for a moment. "Ise jus sayin', things could get messy if yer goin' around wit his goil."

It suddenly dawned on him. "Yer worried."

Race was quiet.

"Yer worried," Albert repeated. "Yer scared William's gonna get mad at us. At you."

"Jack don't need any more problems," Race tried weakly.

"No, you don't need anymore problems." Albert clenched his jaw. "'Cause it'll be yer problem if Jack gets killed."

"I jus wanna be safe."

"Well, so does Dipper, Ise sure," he snapped, ripping his shoulder out of the boy's grip.

"Look, it ain't like dat." Race fumbled for words. "I like Dipper. I care 'bout her. But I can see you like her too, really like her, 'n Ise jus wonderin' if dere might be anudda way ta do dis?"

"Ta do what?" questioned Albert, exasperated. "Racer, tha poor goil's trapped. Yeah, it might make William mad at us when she leaves him, but dat's a bridge we'll cross when we get ta it. Ise sorry, but I won't jus abandon her."

Race fiddled with his cigar for a long moment. Then, like Lane, he turned with a deep sigh and left.

He couldn't think straight with the threat hanging over his head. He knew Race was right, but he was in far too deep to go back to not caring at all about the star-loving girl.

He had to talk to someone who was detached from the newsies, mostly. Someone he could vent to. Someone who might know a thing or two about what he was going through.