Chapter Twelve

Albert had left her.

He'd just left her.

And it wasn't like she cared that much, but how was she to survive all the small talk that was bound to come her way without him by her side?

Cruel. That's what he was. Absolutely cruel.

So maybe she was still a little sensitive about the whole 'leaving her without a word' thing.

But only a little.

She woke up early the next morning to avoid meeting up with anyone, especially Albert—she had no idea how she'd ever be able to show her face around him again—pondering where she would sell. The bank had been where she and Albert had gone, but that was clearly out now. She supposed she could've asked some of the newsies, but then they'd just ask why she wasn't going with the boy. Bringing her issues to Lane was a definite no—she'd have Albert's head on a stick if she learned that he wasn't babysitting Dipper like he was supposed to. Would Lane's brothers know where they all sold everyday, so she'd know where not to go? Dipper quickly dismissed the idea. She wasn't suicidal.

So that left only... her. Where did she think it was safest to go? Not the bank, obviously. Had there been anyone selling at the barber's? She couldn't remember. If not there... maybe near the trolley station? Or something. She figured if worse came to worse, there was always the option of heading over to different boroughs to sell.

They'd had her before—or at least most of them. She didn't think Tias would mind if she went down to Harlem for the day. Maybe, if she was lucky, he'd ignore that she'd popped in only the week before? Probably not. Queens was fine, but ever since the new leader up in Queens, Jest, had stepped up for Three, she'd resolved to never go down that way again. Queens went through leaders like one would go through a deck of cards, and Jest had always naturally been off-putting to her. There was no way around it. He wore all black at all times, and they said his eyes glowed like a serpent's. Bright. And alluring. And dangerous.

But she'd still take it over going to William for help any day. As long as she had the choice, she was determined to stay as far away from the guy as possible. But the choice was seldom ever hers.

"Hey, quit slackin'. You've gotta get ta work."

Dipper turned, startled, to where Lane was slipping on a light coat with an eyebrow raised. She nodded and turned to get her newsie sack. It was only after a moment did she realize she still had no idea where she was going.

"He-ah." Lane brought over a green jacket, taking her sack for her while she put it on. "It's gettin' cold out."

"Alright, mam," Dipper muttered, to which Lane rolled her eyes. "Where's you goin'?"

"Oh, I dunno." Lane sighed. "I ain't allowed ta see Finch anymore. Apparently he's too attached. What does dat have ta do wit me, anyway?"

"Maybe you need tha time, too," Dipper mentioned, feeling like she was stating the obvious.

"Alright, time fa you ta go." Lane began pushing her out the door. "Bye! Have a good day!"

Dipper stumbled forward, crinkling her nose at the girl playfully. "Yer so nice ta me."

"I try."

She walked a while around the area, sure that she would just know when she came upon the perfect spot. Mostly because she didn't know what else she'd do.

"Dipper?"

Dipper inwardly wailed at her luck, turning to face one of the newsies. Not Albert, definitely. She had a feeling his name started with a J. "Hey!"