Chapter Twenty Three

Had it been any other day, she would've felt slightly different about the feeling of Albert's hand in hers.

They were headed over to William's, on their way to end things with him once and for all. It would be an understatement to say that she was nervous. The only thing easing the knot in her stomach was his touch. Surprisingly, it hadn't been her who'd interlaced their fingers.

"Ise havin' second thoughts," she admitted softly.

"I know." A beat. "I'll be right he-ah."

She squeezed his hand, lifted her chin. "I know."

Their shoulders brushed against each other as they walked, providing comfort without a word. Dipper couldn't remember the last time she'd felt so nervous. It was a road she'd never dared to venture before, directly cutting someone out of her life. It'd always seemed like the sort of thing other people did; not her.

But there was no turning back.

"What if..." she licked her lips, distressed, searching for the right words. "What if he tries ta hurt me?"

Albert glanced at her. "Dere's a reason Ise comin' wit ya."

"Yeah." She sighed. "I dunno why I can't stop worryin'."

"It's pretty big, what yer doin'," Albert said. "I don't blame ya."

She frowned. "You'd have no problem. You'd probably be happy in my place."

He shrugged, a one shouldered shrug that seemed almost bashful. "Trust me, lil' Dipper. Dere's things you can do dat I don't find as easy."

She looked at him in disbelief. "Like what?"

"Like knowin' what it is yer feelin'." He chuckled. "You know when yer too tired — mentally, I mean. You know when yer feelin' sad. You jus know. Me, on tha oth-ah hand... I don't even know how ta admit it ta myself when I've got tha sweets fa someone."

He went quiet after that last bit, and so did she.

Before long, they reached the Farnsworth mansion. Dipper, acting on instinct, raised her fist to knock at the door. She shouldn't have been surprised when no one answered. "We shoulda brought Amy."

"William!" Albert called, clearly not thinking the same. "Hey, Farnsworth! We'd like ta have a woid wit ya!"

He'd opened the door just in time to see William gliding down the stairs, looking as fancy in the tuxedo he was wearing as ever. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

For a moment, Dipper almost forgot how to speak. The dread squeezing her stomach slithered up to her throat, choking her. But then she felt the steady presence of Albert behind her, and took a deep breath. "I... I came ta say... Ise done."

He tilted his head. "Excuse me?"

She said nothing, only kept her gaze locked on his. Admittedly, she was afraid her voice would betray her nervousness if she spoke any more.

William laughed, the booming echo sounding quite mad for someone who would complain endlessly about his father's own lack of sanity. "So, what? You're just going to leave me? Is that what you're saying?"

"She said what she said, pal," Albert snapped.

William shook his head, and when he turned to look at her, she was met by the sight of tears in his eyes. "Why?" He let out what sounded like a sob, but could've also been a broken laugh. Perhaps it was both. "Why? After everything, what makes you think you can come in here and just drop the news that you think you're better off without me, huh? Tell me!"