Chapter Eighteen

This chapter may feel a little silly at first, but you guys are all in the newsies fandom, so we should be good lol

The four girls were like a pile of dead weights.

Lane didn't know what, exactly, had happened to have put them in such a bitter mood, but it seemed safe to assume that it was the result of lack of sleep and all their own problems weighing on them. For herself, being separated from Finch was definitely a minus in all situations.

It'd been a few days since she'd seen the boy, and she wasn't eager for that number to get any higher. She kept on waiting for another note from him, but she had a feeling he was waiting for her to initiate a meeting by proposing a time and place. But when? Domino was by her side constantly, always watching. She'd eventually decided to give it a rest before she ended up wasting all her energy on the same thought process.

When would she see him?

How would they get past Domino?

What would she tell him first, so he had a chance to hear the words before Domino showed up? Oh, who was she kidding. Neither of them would spend a minute talking first.

Their last rendez-vous had proved that, if nothing else. But she knew she had to break the news about Spot to him soon.

As for the rest of them, she figured they were all just tired of the way this was dragging on. It seemed nothing was looking up for them, and if they were getting anywhere, it certainly wasn't showing.

Lane didn't know what to do. Was she waiting for something? Possibly. But it'd sure be helpful to know what, exactly, that thing was.

So yeah, they were all a little down in the dumps.

They hardly even had enough to buy anything at Jacobi's.

"Maybe we should try ta fake Jack's death," said Lane. "Hide me down wit him. I could use tha break."

"Let me come wit ya," pleaded Dipper.

She flashed a thumbs up at the girl.

She felt exhausted with the constant turmoil of thoughts in her brain. Even if she'd been doing it unconsciously, she'd been weighing the possibilities and consequences of finding her father, as well. Courtesy of Amy, it wasn't much of a secret anymore, but that hadn't been what prompted her to tell Finch. Although it had helped.

She also had to think about the fact that Albert could've been right. There was a chance her father wasn't even alive.

And then Spot. Lane always got an uneasy feeling in her stomach when she thought of him. News of his death had quickly spread throughout the lodging house as well, except for the information that Spot had admitted to being Finch's long lost brother. No, not just brother. Twin.

What a world.

Race came bounding into the room at that moment. "Why do you four look like someone jus died?"

Lane turned towards him, unimpressed.

"There's no point in even tryin' anymore," Amy mumbled, her head planted firmly on the wooden table.

The other three nodded in agreement.

"Ah, cheer up." Race attempted to pull Lane from her seat, but she was determined never to go anywhere ever again. "We've got no time ta be lookin' so glum 'n dumb!"

"Jus try 'n blame us," Domino grumbled, chin propped up in her hand.

Race fell back onto Dipper's table dramatically. "Oh, ta be young 'n in love! Ta have so many opportunities ahead fa you! Tha horror!"