Chapter Four

Short recap: At the end of book three, Roosevelt attempted to turn Lane over to the gang of thieves she'd once been apart of, The Unknowns.

As a result, Lane heads over to Snyder's jail cell for some answers, and he tells her the whole reason he ever started the Refuge was because he'd been framed by her when Pulitzer's world globe had gone missing.

Which is also why Snyder seemed to have such a fervent need for revenge with Lane.

It's revealed at the end of the chapter that Lane's father may or may not still be alive.

Lane woke up to a scream, perhaps her own, images of her father's bleeding body dancing behind her eyelids.

Her eyes shot open, and she gasped at the sight of a figure with a black mask leaning over her. In an instant, she had her knife in her hand, pointing it threateningly at the figure with a hand grasping the front of their shirt.

"Whoa, hey, jus me!" the figure exclaimed, ripping off the mask to reveal Race.

Lane sighed deeply, slumping back onto the mound of blankets that had been thrown onto the ground for her. "Fa all tha papes, Race. Dis is Trek's house. Why's ya even he-ah?"

"Trek let me in aft-ah I told him I wanted ta scare ya," Race told her, pointing over at Dipper at the other side of the room. "I also had an accomplice who was more den willin' help out."

Lane peered behind him, seeing Monaro standing over Dipper while she wacked him with a pillow. "Dere bett-ah be a good reason fa dis."

"It's Halloween!" Race cheered, waving the black mask around in the air. "Dat's all tha reason you should need."

"It's Halloween," Lane repeated dryly. "Of course it is."

Race allowed himself one last laugh before leaving the room with Monaro trailing behind him.

"When did you start sleepin' wit a knife?"

Lane groaned, slinging an arm over her tired eyes. "A lot has happened since ya left, if ya haven't noticed."

It'd been a few days since Lane had begun staying at Trek's again—after he'd dragged her over. Of course, he had a feeling that she'd try to find someplace else to sleep since his daughter had returned, which he'd been right about. His daughter's return would mean that Lane's usual room would be occupied. She'd even tried explaining this to him, but he would have none of it.

And so that was how she ended up sharing a room with the girl she hadn't seen in two years.

She'd almost considered telling Trek about the news with her father, but she knew she couldn't say anything with Abby around. Not because she thought she didn't deserve to hear about her father maybe being alive, but... she had a feeling this had to stay between as few people as possible until she was sure it was safe to confirm anything.

The endless cycle of skimming through all the possibilities of how her father could've possibly survived wearied her beyond belief, and she knew she had to start thinking of other things. There was far too much on the line for her to abandon it all for a slight chance that she may be able to find her father.

"Abby," she said. "I think I have an idea."

About an hour later, all five girls were seated in Amy's room, doing their best to process Lane's suggestion.

"Let me get this straight," said Katherine. "You want to break into the lodging houses of the city, all in the hope that you'll find these objects?"