Chapter Eleven

After Lane had helped Albert with his little show, she headed back over to Finch who seemed mildly confused, if not a little concerned. "You was either lyin' 'bout what was goin' on in dere, or was bein' extremely specific."

Lane snorted, sitting down against his chair, resting her head against his thigh. She'd grabbed her sewing supplies on the way in, and hoped to get a bit done before Medda asked to see her again. It wasn't long until she felt Finch's fingers treading lightly through her hair. "Good news is, we got tha seagull into tha dresser."

It took him a few moments to realize it was a joke. When it hit him, he grinned, dimples showing. "Sounded more like an ostrich."

She smiled, straightening the material of the costumes out on her legs. "Not quite."

"Luckily fa you," he quipped.

Lane patted him good-naturedly on the leg, before focusing on her work. After a moment, he let out a tired breath, so soft she almost missed it, and—concerned—she turned back to face him. "You okay?"

He'd lowered his cap over his eyes to block out the light in the room. "I've got a bit of a headache. Dey still come 'n go, but it ain't too bad. Promise."

Her heart sank. "Tell me if it gets worse."

"I will."

They spent another moment in silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable. She enjoyed being in his presence, even if neither of them had anything to say. It was peaceful. Calming.

It also allowed her mind to wander.

"Finch..." She paused, spinning the words around in her mind and she spun the thread through the needle. "I've been meanin' ta share somethin' wit ya."

He said nothing, but his fingers stilled.

Only, before she was able to tell him anything, Domino came over with her arms crossed. "Okay, dis is what's gonna happen. You 'n Finch ain't gonna be allowed ta see each oth-ah 'til tha end 'a tha month."

Lane blinked. "Huh?"

"You've given tha poor guy separation issues," Domino accused.

"Tha Refuge did," Finch corrected in her defence, lifting his cap.

The lean, dark skinned girl pointed at him. "Irrelevant. Tha only way ta get you guys ta grow clos-ah, is ta pull ya apart. Absence makes ta heart grow fond-ah, anyway."

Lane couldn't believe this was actually happening. Seemed like someone had missed the events of the entire second book. "What?"

"Absence makes tha-"

"No, I know what'cha said," Lane snapped, putting her supplies aside. "Dat ain't what I meant. Ya can't jus ord-ah us around like dat!"

Domino raised an eyebrow challengingly.

"Alright, well ya can, but-"

"Lane." Finch stopped her, standing up and pulling her to her feet. "It ain't dat bad. I say we try it."

"You could take her."

Finch blinked. "Huh?"

She grabbed his forearm, pointing at his biceps. "Those ain't jus fa show. C'mon, her name is literally Domino. Ya jus gotta push her ov-ah 'n she'll fall."

Lane could only imagine the death glare she was getting from said domino.

Finch rolled his eyes, trying in vain not to smirk. "Look, maybe dis could be good. She's right—things can't stay like dis. I've gotta learn how ta face me fears." She opened her mouth to protest. "Alone."