1.22

NEW YORK

Lavender was nearly asleep in the passenger seat, the radio quietly playing Blink-182, Dylan softly humming along—careful not to wake his wife and daughter. They had flown to New York for thanksgiving, a promising weekend at the O'Briens. Lavvie and Dylan had gone to a few sessions for therapy, the tension between them lessening but it hadn't entirely gone away.

It seemed to be an unspoken thing between them, if one had done something they knew the other they didn't like—they just didn't say a thing. But, frustrations aside, they wanted to have a nice family event without a tuffle between them.

"Babe? You awake?" Dylan questioned softly, Lavvie humming out in response, squeezing his hand that she held on her lap. "We're almost there, want to wake Ror?" He asked, but she shook her head.

"Let her sleep, I'll carry her in if you get the bags." Lavvie mumbled, opening her eyes with a sigh. "She was up half the night, kept trying to get me to make cookies." Lavvie lightly laughed, though it had caused her to lose sleep as well.

"I was wondering why you nearly threw your coffee at me on the way to the airport." Dylan chuckled, bringing her hand to his mouth and kissing it softly. "I'm sure Mom won't mind if you go up at take a nap." He told her, pulling into the driveway of his childhood home.

"No way, I need my fix of Julia." Lavvie retorted, grinning when the car came to a stop. She quickly undid her buckle, stepping out of the car and into the cold fall weather. Lavvie was careful opening the back door, leaning over to undo Rory's buckle and take her out of the seat.

Fortunately, Rory was a heavy napper, her head falling onto Lavvie's shoulder as she carried her up to the house. Lavvie allowed Dylan to get their bags, knocking on the door to the home she loved dearly. Almost immediately after knocking, she was greeted with a joyous Lisa.

"Come in, it's freezing out there!" Lisa exclaimed, waving her daughter in law into the home. "I swear you get prettier every time I see you." Lisa said, bringing Lavvie in for a tight hug and kissed her cheek.

"Gosh, and she's getting so big." The woman's eyes watered at the sight of her sound asleep grandchild.

"She's so tall, I'm not entirely sure where she gets it from." Lavvie joked, kicking off her shoes as they walked inside.

"May I?" Lisa asked, holding her arms out and Lavvie gladly handed her daughter over.

As if Rory realized she was no longer in her mother's arms, she began to stir awake. Her bright eyes stared up at Lisa, a high gasp leaving her mouth instantly.

"Nana!" Rory nearly squealed, wide awake within an instant. Her small arms wrapped around Lisa tightly and the woman laughed.

Lavvie smiled at the sight, wandering off to the livingroom to make herself at home on the comfortable couch. She always loved the holidays with Dylan's family, having never been close with her own—it felt more of a home to her than her family's did. Most people would complain about their in-laws, but Lavvie didn't have a single complaint. No surprise there though, the O'Briens didn't have a single mean bone in their bodies.

•••

"Uh, oh, here comes grumpy pants." Julia laughed, Dylan walking outside with a hoodie and blanket in his arms. Julia and Lavvie had been sitting on the back porch, a case of whiteclaws sat between them while Dylan had put Rory to sleep.