A selfish act to keep you alive

"are you serious." A small blonde entered in the study with a question, worried plastered across his face.

The older looked up from his paper work with a blank expression the familiar blonde could not read. He was used to his father being as blank as ever and yet be so intimidating but right now, his thoughts were filled with pure worry for his older brother to even care about how his father would react to his impulsiveness.

"we have kept this for ages, and if he steps out of this house who knows what will happen." The boy complained as he sat down in front of the older, face full of worry and anger.

"Calm down Tommy...nothing will happen to him...he can manage." The older rolled his eyes and sent them back to his paper work. The older had always been like this...cold and distant.

"can you please rethink this-"

"you dare question my decision Tommy?" the older stood up and slammed his hand on his desk, the loud noise boomed throughout the whole room which casted silence to befall soon after.

Tommy bit his lip and stood up from his seat.

"yes...if it's for him then yes. I dare define your authority. You really think he's safe out there, if he steps out of this house all our hard work of protecting him will go down the drain." The boy yelled in furry, he has always been scared of this man. The boy had always obeyed his every order, his only desire was to keep the blondie safe so he always followed along with orders.

"Tommy. If you truly cared for him, you would allow him to be happy." The older said with a sigh, but the blonde only bit his lip at that.

"he's not safe out there..." the blonde sat down and took a deep breath he felt as though he was the only one here who even cared.

"but it's what makes him happy." A voice caught both of their attention their eyes darted over to a small brunette at the door of the study.

The boy smiled and closed the door behind him as he made his way next to a seat beside the blonde.

"but tubs, he is not safe out there. He can get caught by the-"

"hep hep, we don't mention that here, no one is going to get caught, you hear." The older glared, which sent shivers down the other two.

"wait, how did you even know, Tommy?" the older's eyes jolted towards the small blonde sat in front of him, Tommy only huffed and looked away.

"you spied didn't you..." Tubbo teased with a smirk on his face, which the blonde did not appreciate what's so ever.

"so what if I did...he may be a jerk back in his old life but he saved us...and here in this life, he's different...it's like a whole different person...It's like he's finally free to be who he is." The boy looked at the older brunette as he tried to stay true and stand his ground for his opinion of protecting the older blondie.

"its been ages...we can't let all our hard work of keeping him from them be in vain. Schlatt I respect Dream, and I wish him happiness...but if they find him who knows what they'll do." The boy pleaded to the older for at least a small ounce of consideration.

"how about this...you go join him in school, will that make you feel better Tommy." The older simply raised an eyebrow still not fazed despite the danger that has presented itself in front of him.

Tommy groaned, his hands travelled up his golden locks with a tight grip, still so annoyed at how stubborn this man is.

"Schlatt I'm serious. We can't just wonder around out there, the sun will burn us for fuck's sake." The blonde clenched his jaw as he tried to restrain himself.

"you can always wear sunscreen Tommy." The older simply said as he stood up and walked away towards a drawer across his office with his paper work in hand. Tommy glared daggers at the older as he tried to calm himself, Tubbo only sighed and tapped the blonde's shoulder.

"look. Dream won't be found out by them, he's completely safe." The brunette tried to console the other. Tommy looked at him and relaxed, a solemn expression rested on his face.

"you never know that...you didn't see what they were like...They were more ruthless than any creature I've met." The blonde's head dropped down to his lap constant voices filled his head, voices that he doesn't want to remember ever again.

Tubbo's smile disappeared into a small frown as he felt the boy's sadness.

"I understand how you must feel boss man, but just allow him to have this...it's what he died for remember?" the brunette stated with a small smile to give comfort to the blonde, Tommy smiled slightly and finally gave in.

"alright..."

.

.

.

That night the young blonde walked the empty halls, his mind was still hesitant to let the older go. But they had a point, so here he walked in the moonlight to gather his thoughts.

"Tommy?" a cheerful yet tired voice called, the blonde turned around to find the older with emerald green eyes stood in the corner of the hallway he took a sharp turn on.

"Dream? Where have you been?" the blondie questioned, still quite zoned out to really sound cheerful. The older sensed his brother's depressed voice, come to think of it...he has never heard Tommy so sad.

The blondie gave the younger a small smile and ran up to give him a hug, the younger of course was surprised by this but all he could do was take it. They let the silence over fill the hall, the other still felt confused but restricted himself to open his mouth and break the moment they had.

"uh...Dream?" the blonde finally spoke to ease his mind full of questions, but the blonde only shushed him and hugged him tighter. The older had not wished for the blonde to spill what was on his mind if he didn't want to, he only wanted to comfort the other as best he can.

"you don't need to tell me, you're sad about something aren't you..." the blonde simply states as he closed his eyes to relish the warm hug, Tommy on the other hand broke right on the spot. Small sniffles from the younger blonde was heard, he has never shed tears in front of any one before...specially not in front of Dream.

The older smiled and rubbed circles on the younger's back as he hummed a familiar tune to calm him down.

Tommy's mind was in a swirl of emotion because of the whole conversation they had earlier about the older blondie, he had his reason why he didn't want to let the other go. Yet he couldn't deny the fact that this is what the other wants, who was he to deny him his freedom?

"I'm selfish...and I'm sorry."

.

.

.

.

.

.