Chapter 7

Sorry! 

I’m really sorry, Tanaka-senpai! Tsukiko was currently in a predicament. She had meant to go and see the boys’ volleyball team practice, but now she has to deal with the problem of her after-school activities.

After classes ended, Tsukiko tried to inform her teacher that she had a prior engagement. The teacher, however, didn’t give her enough time to explain herself and he led her straight to the Student Council room. 

“I’m sure you’ll love the Student Council, Kita-kun! The work is rewarding and the members are highly respectable! You’ll fit right in!” The teacher was much more excited about this than she was. 

“U-umm! S-sensei…I-I’m not…” Once again, Tsukiko tried to explain herself, but the two had already reached the Student Council room. The teacher slid the door open. Inside, were four students. One of them included Matsumoto Hiroki. He looked up when he heard the door open. 

“Ah! Evenin’ sensei!” He gave a respectful bow. When he lifted his head he noticed another person beside the teacher. “And you brought Ki-chan! Great!” He beamed a smile at her. Tsukiko was startled at both his bright smile and his nickname for her. Ki…chan?

“I’m sure you’ll be okay with everything, right Matsumoto? I leave her in your care!” He then left the room. Tsukiko tried calling out to him. “A-ah! Sensei, w-wait!” He’d already turned the corner though.

“Hey Ki-chan! I’m glad you could join us! Let me introduce everyone to you!” He put his hand on the small of her back and directed her to the middle of the room. She fidgeted under his touch. He removed his hand after he noticed her discomfort.

Matsumoto pointed at a boy with black, shaggy hair and full-size headphones around his neck. “This is our Secretary, Hideaki!” “Yo!” The boy responded while holding up the peace sign with his fingers. Tsukiko gave him a small bow. He seemed just as energetic as Matsumoto. 

He then gestured to identical male twins. Their resemblance to each other was uncanny. “These two have the job of being Treasurer and Auditor, Katsuo and Katsuro! Don’t ask me which one is which, cause I’ve known them for over five years and even I don’t know!” He laughed.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you!” The twins said at the same time. Tsukiko was slightly flustered at their simultaneous actions, but gave them a bow nonetheless. “N-nice to meet you t-too!” 

Matsumoto continued, “Our Public Relations Officer isn’t here right now since she’s busy with something else. You’ll meet her soon though!” He then gestured to himself. “I think you already know this since sensei probably said it, but I’m one of the Co-Presidents! Welcome to the club! Our other Co-President isn’t here either because she’s helping our Public Relations Officer, but I know she’d want to welcome you as well.”

Tsukiko looked around the room and at everybody. The room was spotless and papers were stacked neatly on desks. All the members present gave her reassuring smiles. Her teacher was right; they certainly seemed capable of wholesome, respectable work. 

Matsumoto spoke, “You know, we’re still looking for a Vice-President. If you’re interested in joining, then maybe you can take that role!” Tsukiko was flattered, but there was no way she could take such a high position. 

“V-Vice-President!? I-I couldn’t do t-that. I-I’m just a f-first-year!” She tried objecting.

“Nonsense! Age doesn’t determine how well you can do your job as a Vice-President. Besides, the other Co-President and I were both Co-Vice-Presidents when we were first-years; and that was just last year!” He took her by the shoulders and led her to one of the desks. “Let us show you the duties of a Vice-President and then you can decide!”

For a while, Matsumoto and the others explained to her the jobs of the Vice-President. Matsumoto noticed that Tsukiko kept glancing at the clock throughout the whole process.

After Katsuo and Katsuro finished showing her another one of her duties, he addressed the issue. “Hey…Ki-chan, is there somewhere you need to go right now?” She flinched and looked down. 

“Let me guess…the volleyball club?” Tsukiko quickly looked up at him, wondering how he knew that. 

It seems that Matsumoto could tell what she was thinking by reading her facial expressions. “I remembered Tanaka going after you that time you delivered papers to me. You were also looking for him the next day and I saw you guys talking to each other after that. You want to watch him practice right?” Tsukiko blushed at his question. Despite his energetic and carefree attitude, Matsumoto was quite observant and had a very good memory.

“Well, don’t keep the man waiting!” He started pushing her out the door. “You can tell me your answer about joining the club tomorrow. And I expect a good one!” With that, he gave her a gentle smile. 

“H-hai!” Tsukiko bowed deeply and then ran down the hallway, towards the gym.

It has already been a while since school ended. She didn’t know how long their practices went for, but she hoped that they were still going at it. 

She had only been running for a short time, but Tsukiko was already panting heavily. This was why she chose not to join any sports clubs. 

The gym’s entrance was in sight. She could hear the sounds of volleyballs hitting the floor. 

A surge of relief filled her. She would have to apologize to Tanaka again for being late. Hopefully he didn’t think badly of her for not showing up. 

Tanaka was still a little unsettled from Tsukiko’s absence. His game was still off and the others were beginning to worry. He wasn’t being as loud as his normal self and he didn’t take off his shirt even once when he hit a successful spike like usual. Given that it saved their eardrums a bit and him being shirtless was always unnecessary, his current actions still worried them.

Just as Tanaka hit another haphazard spike, the doors to the gym slammed open.