Chapter 17

Beep! Beep!

The loud noise among the quietness of the house startled Tsukiko. Thankfully, she was already awake and was dressing for school. Realizing that the sound came from her phone, she wondered who could be texting her this early in the morning. It couldn't be him...could it?

From: Tanaka Ryunosuke

Subject: Morning!

Oh gosh! It really was from him! This was a pleasant surprise for the first-year girl. Taking a deep breath, Tsukiko started to read.

Text: Good morning Kita-san! Sorry if I woke you up! I hope that you had pleasant dreams last night!

Tsukiko giggled at his vast array of punctuation. All exclamation points. It was very like him. She also smiled at how considerate he was, being concerned about waking her up. She continued reading.

Last night I had some terrible thoughts! I've walked you home but not to school and you walking alone to school is just as dangerous as you walking home alone! Let me walk you to school if you don't mind! What kind of man and senpai would I be if I couldn't even do that much for you!?

Her eyes widened the further she read the text and her hands holding the phone began to shake slightly. He was coming here to walk her to school!? Now!? She was hardly mentally prepared for that! Just him walking her back home was barely enough for her to handle!

Not to mention that there would be many more people around them and they could be seen walking together. The thought of all those eyes on her embarrassed Tsukiko to no end.

Walking with an upperclassman to school. A male upperclassman. Wouldn't they look like...like a...c-cou– Oh, she couldn't even bring herself to think of that word without blushing. She was reading and re-reading the text at least five times over, trying to make sure that walking her to school today was indeed the boy's intention.

"Aren't you going to answer?" "EEK!" Tsukiko literally jumped at the voice, obviously too engrossed with the text. In the process, her grip on her phone loosened and she scrambled to catch it.

With the phone securely in her hands again, she sighed in relief and immediately turned to meet her mother. Sheepish eyes were met with amused ones. Her mother used a hand to try and cover her smile and laugh. "Sorry, dear! I was just thinking that it was taking you much longer than usual to come down for breakfast, so I came up to check on you." She apologized in between giggling.

After calming down, she continued, "Oh my! My little girl really is growing up! A few visits to the volleyball club and you've already got a boy wrapped around your finger!~~"

Tsukiko's cheeks were burning, and she wouldn't be surprised if she ended up with a fever with all this added heat. "I-It's not like...that..." She managed to choke out.

"Not yet, at least!~~~" The older women teased. Deciding to spare her daughter from further teasing, "Well, at the very least, there's no harm in him walking you is there? Don't hesitate so much! Message him back!" Tsukiko could do nothing but nod and listen to her mother.

After she replied, she followed her mother out the room and down the stairs for breakfast. Not even a step down the stairs, however, her phone beeped again. "He's quite the eager one, isn't he?" Her mother joked, eliciting another deep blush.

From: Tanaka Ryunosuke

Subject RE:RE: Morning!

Text: Alright! I'll be right there! Give me fifteen minutes! ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ