Chapter 36

Current Concern: Not a single girl seems to get just how cool her lil bro is!

- Haikyuu!! Wiki page

Tanaka Saeko was a doting and proud older sister, even though her affections were often rejected by her sibling due to embarrassment. Even so, she loves him all the same.

She thought her younger brother, Tanaka Ryunosuke, was the coolest younger brother a sister could have.

The problem? Other girls didn't seem to think so!

She wondered why that was. He was cool! She helped raise him after all!

He played volleyball and he was darn good at it too! She had been to a couple of his matches before and he definitely looked cool when he spiked the ball.

He might have been a little rough around the edges, but he was a gentleman at heart.

So, what was the issue? He was kind, he was fit, and he was cool!

Sure, he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he had plenty of other redeeming traits that made up for his poor grades!

Was it that he was loud? But why would any girl want a guy that's too soft-spoken? That kind of guy would never stand up for himself or for his girl!

Maybe it's because he's too cool? And girls are intimidated by his overwhelming coolness? Well, in that case, that's fine because Saeko only wanted the best girl for Ryu and that would be a girl that's just as cool as him – if not cooler!

Just when she was starting to get a little more concerned about it, she noticed a few changes in Ryu. He looked at his phone more often, he daydreamed frequently, and he had this goofy look on his face a lot of the time at home.

For some time, Saeko thought nothing of it until she heard some words. One night, the boy started running around and yelling in the middle of night. It was hard to tell what he was saying, but she could've sworn she heard something along the lines of 'cute' and 'girlfriend.'

After yelling at him to be quiet because it was late, she decided to ask him about it but he just shut himself in his room saying that he had to get sleep for a 'super important match that could decide my fate!'

She just let it go but eventually, she heard something again about a 'girlfriend.' One weekend, a bunch of his friends came over to study together for their upcoming final exams. Saeko got to see Nishinoya who was as cool as ever and Ennoshita who was most certainly the boss of the second-years.

During that study session, she heard Nishinoya ask Ryu about his 'super cute girlfriend.' Later that night, she asked him why she had never heard of this girl before. He revealed that their relationship was new and hadn't been going on for long.

When asked about meeting her, Ryu grew flustered and adamantly refused, stating that Saeko would just embarrass him. She pouted, but just let it go since she would see his girlfriend soon enough.

And soon she did.

Except, she didn't expect to meet her like this.

Currently, Saeko was standing in the doorway. She looked on at the scene before her with wide eyes and open mouth.

A girl with long black hair and face as red as a stop sign was on the floor. She looked to be pinned by Ryu, who was hovering over her. The two had the same kind of face that the blonde did.

Saeko stared at Ryu and Tsukiko, who stared back at her.

Tsukiko was the first to react in extreme embarrassment. She squeaked, quickly closed her eyes tight, and used both her hands to cover her face. Saeko didn't think it was possible, but the shy girl got even more red.