Chapter 27

*Sniff!*

"You're not seriously still crying about it, are you?" Ennoshita looked at his fellow second-year in slight disgust. Tanaka met his gaze, unwavering.

"You'll understand someday, Ennoshita! When you find a cute girl to give you a good luck charm, you'll realize just how good this feels!!!" He shouted indignantly, tears of joy comically streaming down his eyes.

It was the day before the Inter-High began. Both Tanaka and Ennoshita were in the club room changing out of their school uniforms when Ennoshita heard the other's sniffling.

First, he was confused as to why his friend was crying about not seeing the shy first-year girl. Now, he was confused as to why his friend was crying about seeing the shy first-year girl. Honestly, he was happy that the wing spiker and his crush had reconciled.

"Haha! Are you upset that you don't have a girl to cheer you on, maybe???" Tanaka teased, smirking.

However, seeing his friend's somewhat superior air about the whole thing, Ennoshita decided that he was no longer happy and was, instead, incredibly annoyed. He wondered just how and why the two of them kept getting stuck alone together in the club room so often. He was being a good boy, not skipping any practices and trying his best during them. What did he do to be forced with this dimwit?

Ennoshita sighed in annoyance, zipping up his bag and heading for the door. "I'm serious. Keep talking like that and I really will steal your position as a regular while you're busy being a love-drunk idiot."

"Wha—Hey, wait up!! Come on, Ennoshita! There's no need to be jealous! I'm sure you'll find somebody someday!" Tanaka's smirk disappeared and he hurriedly slipped on his shirt, running after the other wing spiker, only to be jabbed in the side. "GAH!!" He bent over, holding his side in pain.

Ennoshita's eye twitched. Not even sparing him a glance, he said, "I don't need pity from the likes of you." The two continued to walk towards the gymnasium, the sound of volleyballs growing louder. They could also hear some shouts of excitement, particularly Hinata's and Nishinoya's.

Wondering what was happening, Tanaka and Ennoshita rushed over to the doors. Tanaka pushed them open, revealing the rest of the team. Many of them were holding something in their hands and studying it. Hinata and Nishinoya were still shouting and jumping around for joy.

Finally noticing his entrance, Nishinoya bounded over to Tanaka. "Ryu! Your girlfriend really is amazing!" He shouted with sparkles in his eyes.

"Eh??!" Although incredibly flattered even though she wasn't his girlfriend yet, his confusion took over first. Daichi then walked over to them. "Tanaka! Ennoshita! You're finally here!" He was holding a rather small box. He took out one of Tsukiko's handmade Omamori and handed it to Ennoshita. Tanaka's eyes widened upon seeing the familiar black fabric.

"Kita-san from the Student Council just came by to hand us these and wished us luck for the Inter-High. They look handmade so make sure to thank her later!" He then reached inside the box again to hand a charm to Tanaka, but he was stopped.

Tanaka frantically waved his arm back and forth, shaking his head and smiling. "It's okay! I already got one from her." Daichi paused for a moment, studying the wing spiker's expression.

The boy's smile seemed forced and almost painful. The captain was concerned, but he decided not to push it since it appeared as though Tanaka didn't want to mention it in the first place. Trying to deflect the topic, Daichi looked into the box. "Oh, you're right. There's only two more: one for Coach Ukai and one for Takeda-sensei." He then walked off to pass out the remaining charms, looking back once more in concern.

Ennoshita glanced at Tanaka in slight worry. The boy had noticeably deflated. His once happy aura was now replaced by a gloomy one. He was looking down at his shoes with a grimace. Ennoshita could see that the boy was gritting his teeth since his jaw tightened.

He looked down at the charm that was just handed to him. Ennoshita's eyes widened in realization upon finally seeing the design of the charm. Trying to get the other boy's attention, he spoke hurriedly but not fast enough.

"UUUOOOOOHHHH!!!"

"Hinata, shut up! That's enough! Stop shouting or you'll attract the attention of the Vice Principal again! It's time for practice. Everyone round up for stretches!"

Ennoshita was interrupted by the shouting. Before he could reach out to Tanaka again, the wing spiker had already started jogging further into the gymnasium. The pain in his eyes still there.

One hand was in his pocket, his fingertips just grazing the charm.

Numerous thoughts ran through his head. Everyone on the team had received a good luck charm from Tsukiko. Even the coach, Takeda, and Kiyoko had gotten one. Realizing this only made his heart hurt more.

He started tightly clutching the charm in his pocket.

Everyone had gotten one. It was very like her. Tanaka, of all people, knew how kind Tsukiko was. Of course she would be so considerate as to get them all a charm. Not only that, but she even made it herself!

Tanaka was sure that there couldn't have been a girl nicer than her. She made these without being asked and for people she barely even knew. Who else would have the heart to do that? Nishinoya was completely right. She really is amazing.

Why, then, did he feel so defeated? Why, then, did he feel so dejected?

It was because everyone had received a charm.

Thinking about it, he must have seemed so selfish. He had wanted to be the only one that she was cheering for. Tanaka was conflicted with himself. After all, he was the one that told her to cheer for them.

Although, at the time, he probably hadn't realized he meant only him. Was it really wrong to want her support all to himself though? Was it really wrong to be the only one who got a charm?

He gripped the charm tighter, so conflicted with himself that he wasn't concerned about wrinkling it. He could feel his nails digging into the skin of his palms.

He wasn't the only one who got a charm.

This thought kept swimming around his head. Her face flashed through his mind. The face she had when she was presenting him the charm. It was so cute. Pink surrounded her cheeks while she bit the inside of it in anticipation and nervousness.

That one action had given him so much hope. Hope about their relationship. Hope about their future.

Tanaka slightly shook his head, as if to shake himself out of those thoughts. What was he thinking? Did he really think that a guy like him had a shot at a girl like her?

He wasn't as cool as Nishinoya. He wasn't as strong as Asahi. He wasn't as nice as Sugawara. He wasn't as reliable as Daichi.

He reminded himself that he wasn't the only one who got a charm.

He wasn't special.

"...Tanaka? What's the matter? You're on the red team." Sugawara laid a hand on the wing spiker's shoulder, his face laced heavily with worry.

Tanaka looked at his upperclassman in shock, having been totally absorbed in his own thoughts. He quickly released the charm from his death grip.

Contemplating for a few moments, he lifted both hands and smacked each cheek. His hands lingered on his face for a bit. The sudden action and loud noise made Sugawara jump. "T-Tanaka?!?" The vice captain questioned.

Tanaka's hands finally lowered and he opened his eyes, his eyes looking sharper than usual. "It's nothing! Thanks for letting me know!" He dashed onto the court, stopping Sugawara from questioning further.

Tanaka clutched the charm in his pocket once more before completely throwing himself into practice.