Chapter 38

*Gulp*

Tanaka hoped the man hadn't heard that because it was certainly deafening to his own ears.

The room was in complete silence as they both sat at each end of the table. Tsukiko and her mother had gone to the living room, as per Norio's request. Hanae had made a motion to object, but knew that it was futile.

After they had gone to the other room, Tanaka was left with no other protection before this man.

It was rare for him to feel intimidated, as he was usually the one doing the intimidating. Yet, he felt like a pebble before Norio. The man was staring him down with the perfect poker face. Somehow, Tanaka thought that was more terrifying than if he had just looked at him with a scowl.

This completely blank face was scary, calculating, analyzing. Specifically, calculating how to strangle the boy and hide the body without getting caught.

The second-year could feel the sweat dribbling down his temple and on his neck, going down his back. He really wasn't sure where to look.

Look forward, and it would be like he was challenging the man which was too much. Look down, and it would be like he lost. Look away, and it would show just how nervous he was.

He wasn't even sure if he should be saying anything. Would it be rude to speak without having been spoken too? Agh! This was so frustrating.

Tanaka was even worried about his appearance. Tsukiko was his first girlfriend and this was the first time meeting her father. He had originally wanted to wear a suit but didn't own one. His wardrobe mainly consisted of the average pants, shorts, and plain T-shirts, but that was much too casual for such an occasion.

As a result, the boy opted for his school's uniform. The black gakuran was the nicest and most formal clothing he owned. Hopefully, it was the right choice.

"Tanaka Ryunosuke..." The boy flinched at the sound of his name. It was the first sound he had heard in what felt like an eternity. Not only that, but the voice was deeper than he expected.

He looked at the man, giving him his undivided attention. He gulped again, preparing for whatever he was going to say. "What are your intentions with my daughter?"

A tough question right off the bat. How should he go about this? Tanaka was in love with Tsukiko. He was absolutely sure of it, but it's not that easy convincing her father.

Just simply saying that he wants to date her didn't seem like enough, but adding more to that just seemed pretentious. Going so far as to say that he would marry her was too much, no matter how much he fantasized about the idea. It would probably only anger the man further.

It appeared that Tanaka took too long in agonizing over his answer, for Norio had sighed and put his head in his hand leaning on the table.

"To think that my daughter has a boyfriend now...and with someone who looks like a hoodlum, no less!" He wasn't talking to Tanaka, but to himself. "With an absolute nobody that I had never heard of until a couple days ago...my little Tsu-chaaaan!" He mumbled through his comical tears.

After composing himself, he looked straight at Tanaka again. "From what I've gathered, you've got awful grades with little work ethic. You sleep a lot in class and get in trouble often. The only thing you really work hard at would be volleyball, but I've heard that Karasuno is called the 'Flightless Crows' and the 'Fallen Champions,' so it's not as if you have any guarantee in your future with sports either." Just how much did this man research?

The boy clenched his fists and grit his teeth. He was furious, but it's not like the man said anything wrong. His grades were bad and he did get in trouble at school often. He took pride in his volleyball, but he wasn't the ace. He believed in his team, but he couldn't risk speaking out against Norio.