Chapter 34

"I...I like you!!!"

"........................" The only sound came from the ruffling of leaves and the cawing of a few crows nearby.

Tsukiko still had her eyes tightly shut, waiting for a response that never came. The silence was driving her crazy, causing her to open her eyes just a bit to peek at her crush.

Tanaka stood there like a statue. His arms hung lifelessly at his sides. For the longest time, he held the blankest face. Tsukiko opened her eyes fully to examine him. Growing concerned about his silence and stillness, she almost held her hand out to wave back and forth in front of him to even see if he was alive.

Suddenly, he fell out of his reverie and chuckled. It didn't sound like there was any humor in it though. "Y-You mean as a friend...right?" The girl jumped, shaking her head frantically. That's not what she meant at all! Did she say something wrong?

Staring at her again, it seemed as though calculations were running through Tanaka's head. "Then...as a person?" She shook her head again. Why was he being so doubtful? Yes, she liked him as a friend. Yes, she liked his personality. This isn't what she was getting at though!

Oh god, was he really going to make her say it outright when she already went to such pains to say those three words?

She clenched at her skirt and shut her eyes again.

"I...I like you...as a...m-man!!"

The next thing she knew, she felt a strong force pressing against and around her waist. She was hoisted into the air, spinning around in circles. Not wanting to fall backwards, Tsukiko quickly wrapped her arms over his shoulders and around his neck. Despite the wind, her face was warmer than ever. With no solid support, her feet were dangling, yet she experienced a strange sense of comfort and security. Tanaka's joyous laughter invaded her ears.

They spun around a few more times before he stopped to look up at her, slightly panting.

"I like you, too. I like you a lot. I like you so much!"

Not being able to withstand the bombardment of his embarrassing statements, Tsukiko buried her face in her palms. Tanaka could still see the bright color on her ears and somehow even past her hands. He laughed once more before gently setting her down. He couldn't believe how cute she looked right now.

She thought similar things about his own red face.

Still not wanting to come out of hiding, Tsukiko kept her hands firmly over her face. When she felt the ground beneath her feet again, she started to back away. She was caught by Tanaka before she could even take a single step though.

His hands met her wrists, slowly pulling down her hands to reveal her beautiful features. She shyly peeked up at him, immediately snapping her head back down because she was unable to handle that tender look of his.

Tanaka pressed his forehead to Tsukiko's, forcing her to look at him. It felt as though both of them were having a fever. His eyes became half-lidded as he inched closer to her.

"GOOD GOING, RYU!!!!" "CONGRATS, TANAKA-SENPAI!!"

The two lovebirds shouted in surprise, jumping away from each other.

"Hinata! Nishinoya! What are you doing??!?" Sugawara cried out. The two boys just looked at him blankly. They both tilted their heads to the side, confused.

"I thought you said we were going to congratulate him?" Hinata asked innocently, Nishinoya nodding in confirmation.

Daichi grew exasperated. "We meant when he comes back to practice!! Not during the—Ugh! Forget it! Just get back here!" Him and Sugawara frantically pulled them by the collars of their shirts and slammed the doors shut.