- her friends -

[ Daeun pov ]

"Cha Daeunnnn, wake up. We're here!"

I jolt awake, sitting up right in the passengers seat. Jacob is leaning towards the front row.

"Sorry, I didn't realize I slept basically that entire time," Jacob says.

"Nah it's fine. I did too basically," I tell him.

"Sunwoo is just knocking on the door now," Jacob says.

"Oh shoot," I unstrap immediately, and leave the jacket that was draped over me on the seat. "Nari is really shy with strangers."

Jacob and I rush out of the car to the front door but Sunwoo isn't there, and the door is already partially open.

We take our shoes off and enter the house. It's dim and lifeless without my grandma here to greet me. Nevertheless, I keep my head up high, now that my sister is here I have to be brave. She's only seven and I don't know awful it must have been seeing grandma fall.

"Don't be alarmed if she hides from you, and don't take it personally. My sister hates meeting new people," I tell Jacob.

"Gotcha," he says and we go further into the house.

I enter the living room and blink in shock- Sunwoo and Nari are sitting on the floor together with a picture book in front of them.

"Nari," I call her name and she grins at me but makes a 'shh' sound because Sunwoo is reading to her.

"Did you let in a strange boy in the house so easily?" I ask her, and Sunwoo narrows his eyes at me.

She shrugs and continues listening to Sunwoo. eventually Jacob finds us and as soon as Nari catches sight of him she hides behind Sunwoo.

"Okay yeah, I'm kinda taking it personally," Jacob sniffles.

"I have no idea why she's being like this to Sunwoo," I tell him.

"Nari, how have you been doing?" I ask her.

"Fine," She shrugs. "Isa told me grandma had a doctors appointment but that you would be here soon."

"Y-yeah," I glance at Sunwoo and he pats Nari's shoulder. I don't know why, but Sunwoo has a great connection with Nari. Usually she's a good judge of character, but her choosing Sunwoo over jacob really makes me question that.

"Er- if you want, you guys can go. I'm not sure how long it will be until I have to stay here," I tell the boys.

"no! We should stay with you guys just in case you need to be driven somewhere," Jacob says.

"Yay! You're staying!" Nari grabs Sunwoo's hand.

"Yay!" He grins at her. Seeing them together makes me smile.

We end up watching a bunch of Disney movies which Nari seems to enjoy. But seeing all the families together makes me start worrying again. I get up in the middle of Encanto go check out my childhood room.

In the dark it looks so daunting, my sister and I had to share because our house is small. I stand by the bookshelf which is filled with framed photos. I stare at one with me, my parents and my grandma. Staring at it for so long I feel a tear drip down my face. But at this point I don't care if I cry or not, I'm alone in my childhood house with the family falling apart. It's inevitable.

I've always been independent, and I didn't mind living like that. But now with the idea that someday I won't have anyone... it makes me nervous for the future.

Being alone doesn't have the same calming effect that it used to.

I hear a floorboard creak outside my bedroom and I turn to see Sunwoo creeping past the open door. I wipe the tear off my face and he laughs nervously.