- his mistake -

[ Sunwoo pov ]

I give a final wave to Daeun as she runs on stage. I smile as she drags her long red 1800s dress to her starting place.

The costumes look ridiculous on everyone else but her. Even though her acting might not be the best (none of our classmates were) she Carried the story realistically.

Too realistically.

I don't notice Bitna stand next to me with her arms crossed, watching their play.

"Have you considered what I told you?" She asks.

"Yeah... but I don't think I'll talk to her about it. It's true maybe she won't understand, but I shouldn't pressure her to. People like us have to figure it out eventually right?" I say to Bitna who chews her lip.

"Well, whatever you say captain." She shrugs and we turn back to the play.

It's clear to see how well Jacob and Daeun work together, and the audience Ooo's and Ahh's at their chemistry. I feel my jaw tighten.

Bitna notices my shift in mood and glances at me every once in a while.

As the lights change color to the final death scene, Bitna sighs and turns me towards her.

"Sting first." She says and pulls me down to her lips.

It takes me a second to register what's happening, and the kiss feels like nothing. It doesn't spark any sort of emotion except fear, and instant regret.

As soon as it hits me I pull away quickly, glancing on stage to Daeun before I even look at Bitna.

When I lock eyes with Daeun I know she saw. We're equally as stunned but then I see the first tear roll down her pretty cheek. And it shatters my insides to bits.

What have I done.

All I want to do is run onstage and embrace her in my arms and explain myself. I want to say and do so many things but I'm just frozen.

Frozen in fear that I just lost the one thing that ever mattered to me in life.

In a flash she's off stage running the other way and I try to take after her but my group mates hold me back as I shout and swear at them.

I make it through three scenes of my own play and finally when I'm not in any of the other scenes,  i dart off stage left where Daeun ran.

Only to run back into Bitna.

"Do you know what you've just done??" I yell at her and try to shove her out of the way.

"I- Sunwoo it's for your own good. You deserve to be free." Bitna says.

"I am free, Bitna! I- I was free!" I yell angrily.
"You know, just because you haven't found someone that makes you feel the way I feel around daeun, does not mean that you can take it away from me too."

"I was trying to help!" She yells back.

"Well was that enough help for you?? Are you happy with how this turned out??" I ask. "You know what, no. I'm not gonna waste my time talking with a jerk like you."

"Asshole!" She yells back. "We're the same. You're a jerk too that doesn't deserve Daeun. Just wait and see. And don't come crawling back to me for help"

"Trust me. I wont." I glare at her before pushing open the exit and bursting out doors.

I fight back tears as I sprint across the grassy area, kicking and punching myself on the inside.

I stop as soon as I see Daeun in the distance. I see the pain she holds in her eyes.

I betrayed her trust.
I broke her heart.
I stabbed her first just like I knew would happen.
I hurt her.

As we're arguing and I'm fighting desperately to salvage what we had, I realize it doesn't matter if the kiss was mine or on purpose or not. She had worried about our relationship too and neither of us told each other. But I struggled to make the effort to see her worries. I was too selfish.

After our heating argument and her walking away. I watch for a while and wait for her turn around and take a last glance at me. But she doesn't.

I don't deserve a last glance though. And I'm relieved we broke up because I don't deserve the emotions she made me feel when we were together. I don't deserve the happiness or the excitement. And I definitely don't deserve those stupid butterflies.