All Four: Kids and Chaos

A/n this chapter is a mini-anthology of all 4 Carter boys and their mates. Each one is set across various years apart (this is not important to the plots but just as an fyi). Order is: Ade+Sam, Eli+Ivy, Mason+Katy, Dane+Emery so you can feel free to skip to the section you wish if you want to do that :) 

Adrian and Samantha

Frowning down at the text she'd been sent, Sam nonetheless slips into the dress she'd picked for the evening. Since Theo's 3rd birthday, she and Adrian have been working hard to not quell the flames of their love life again which has involved the introduction of regular dates again or at least nights with no family talk. Between their work schedules, Theo and keeping in touch with their friends it's not been the easiest to squeeze in alone time though it has been worth it. A little bit of good sex and she's a whole lot less cranky. Of course for that she kind of needs her partner.

Sending her way too workaholic husband a text back to let him know that she's seen his message about 'running by the studio before heading home', she also informs him she's put Theo down for bed.
Their babysitter is due to arrive and so was Adrian. After years of marriage she's well used to his flighty schedule and she can't get too mad because she's in the same predicament. Cases overrun, criminals get either chatty or tight lipped and there's always mountains of paperwork to do. That's why it's so great living beside neighbours who are very understanding and who have a responsible college kid, eager for some extra cash when she's home for the vacations.

The doorbell rings. Slipping in her earrings, she opens the door to Cassie. She invites the younger woman in and checks her phone again. There's another update from Ade. Apparently the situation is 'fluid' and he'll give an estimated time he's leaving when he can. He'd been talking about 'diversifying the company's portfolio' for a while and unsure what exactly that had meant, Sam had been quietly supportive. Then a few months ago he announced subsidiaries intended to cater to the new mainstream market of BDSM equipment. With that well underway to success, there'd been another venture to sell lingerie that's less on the sexy, cute end and more on the fet wear end, designed to be used with role play rather than just as for visual effect. It's in collaboration with an already established lingerie giant and for that Adrian's team have decided they need marketing material. Thus the photoshoots, studio and campaign. Although, he had told her it's not really his area of expertise and he was letting the marketing team handle it more. Of course, he still couldn't resist stopping by to oversee.

Sam makes small talk with Cassie while waiting for her wayward husband to return home. The minutes tick by slowly and as they do, Sam sends him another text asking where he's at. She glances at the hanging clock in their lounge. If he's not back soon, she'll end up having to meet him at the restaurant. Sam would rather not do that since she'd planned to drink and then it'd be a huge hassle to bring back two cars.

"Uh...Mrs C?" says Cassie, "have you changed your mind? Are you not going out? Do you want me to just go home?"
Sam peeks at the clock again, this time noting how they've definitely missed their reservation now. She debates whether to stay put and wait for Adrian like a scorned woman or track him down. Surely, the photo session is wrapping up by now or at the very least, it's nothing that he needs to stay for. She better give him a chance to explain and give his opinion first.

"Hang on a sec. Let me just call Adrian and see where he's at," she tells the girl, taking her phone with her to the other room.

Dialling his number she half expects it's going to go to voicemail but he surprisingly picks up. So, he can't be that busy after all.
"Sam? Can I call you back sweetheart?"
She ignores his question with ones of her own, "where are you? I thought you were only stopping by the studio?"
He makes a sound of frustration and responds, "ah. I was. Something came up."
'Something'. She doesn't know what 'something' means and he doesn't elaborate. His evasiveness puts her on edge. He's not someone who gets distracted easily, his focus tends to be intense and singular which is what makes him such an incredible lover. It also means that while he can get distracted and be bad at texting, if she calls him, Adrian tends to give her his full attention.